I have underactive thyroid and I have numbness to all of my body and loss of sensation also. I have been to doctors and can't find a reason

For this to come on suddenly I just wondering if it could be related at all to my throyid. My last two results were

Tsh - 0.21 t4 - 22

Tsh - 0.16 t4 unknown

Ranges are 0.3- 5.5 for

T4 12-22

I am really keen to do d out what is causing this so I can get sorted.

Thank you for your response in advance

17 Replies

• Have you had any other blood tests? Specifically full blood count (FBC), B12, folate etc? Numbness could be B12 deficiency:

• I had blood tests yesterday and everything came back normal. I was told to rest and hopefully it will go! I had ECG as well and again all normal which is good but also frustrating as I don't have any answers

• You need to ask for copies, see exactly what they have and haven't tested, and see where your results fall in the range. x

• Ok thanks I will do this.

• are you taking levothyroxine

• Yes 75 one day and 100 the next .

• my suspicion is a reaction to levothyroxine and probably because its been made by mercury pharma

• Really. I have been taking it for nearly five years. How come it would only happen now? I have never experienced it before . Thank you though, I will certainly explore it though

• Have you taken notice when given levothyroxine by whom it has been made?

Sometimes if you have been doing well on it you wouldn't notice the manufacturer. Sometimes there is a change in fillers/binders which is what causes people to inform the MRHA of problems of a particular levo.

Has the doctor done blood tests for B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate. If not, request these as they can be low.

• I used to take liquid but it was to expensive so it was changed in December since I have been on the tablets I have not been in the correct ranges. I had blood taken yesterday but I did not ask exactly what they tested for . I just assume they did a general test.

• The GP will have to think of an alternative if you've become unwell since the change-over. Maybe one of these would suit:-

Also low B12 etc can give us symptoms.

• If your problems have arisen since your changeover from liquid levo, it seems to me your prescription doesn't suit you.

There are a couple of other levothyroxines your GP may wish to prescribe. If they don't work, I would write to my GP as you have proven that the liquid levo suits you

• Thank you for all your responses, hopefully this will go on its own . I have another appointment Monday if I can last that long ! I can live with my ranges not being right but the numbness and loss if feeling is horrible

• theres been many complaints about mercury pharma stuff

plus you may be allergic to chemicals which is precisely what levothyroxine is made from

• How would I find out if I am allergic to it ? Would they do a blood test ? I just stop taking medication to see if I regain feeling

• get b12

folate tested first

but find out what make of levo you have been given and with next prescription find a chemist who will supply a totally different make

do not just stop taking them or you will have all the hypo symptoms too

• Hi, I had loss of sensation to my hands and feet. My b12 levels were in range but low. Once I got my b12 levels high in range my symptoms disappeared. Good luck x

You may also like...