Does Gum Guggul really help convert T4 to T3?

A nutritionist has suggested that I try Gum Guggul as it's supposed to be helpful in converting T4 to T3. My lab work showed that I have a normal fT4 and low fT3, so it seems like a useful supplement if it works. Does anybody have any experience using it, and if so - has it helped or hindered? At the moment, I do not take any thyroid medication. I found out in Jan I have adrenal fatigue, so have been trying to deal with that first and last month I found out I was also hypo.

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Does anybody have any experience with it at all? :)

• Sorry, I've never heard of it but see webmd.com/vitamins-suppleme... Go to the interactions tab and scroll down to the bottom where you will see this info: "Guggul might increase thyroid hormone in the body. Taking guggul along with thyroid hormone pills might increase the effects and side effects of thyroid hormones."

See also drugs.com/npp/guggul.html. Again scroll down to Endocrine Effects. Seems to work on mice in labs but no clinical trials for humans.

• That's very interesting sip1. I have just done a bit of googling and it does seem that it may have a positive effect so I am really considering giving it a try...but I'm scared! Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will pitch in later :-)

• I'm giving it a go :) There is only one way to know if it works, and that's giving it a trial run.

• Great...please let me know if it works! Good luck x

• I take ashwagandha for adrenal fatigue, switched from coffee to green tea and am now down to 1/4 gr of nature throid for my hashimoto's. Also take selenium. Will let you know if this works.

• Forgot to add... ashwagandha also boosts thyroid function and converts t4 to t3 besides supporting your adrenals and helping with stressss.

• I take Guggulsterones after reading bits but what I also noticed was the awful back and feet/hand pains I had went away. I warms you up. When you read about it its not just thyroid it can help but rheumatoid arthritis, acne, supports cholesterol. I have a break of a week then go back again and notice the difference in an hour or two. In-between a break I tried natural thyroid but this actually made my feet hurt more in the mornings so am still with this for now.

You may also like...