Thyroid UK
91,640 members105,957 posts

Basal Temp Tests and alcohol

Doc Peatfield says that if you have a drink the night before, don't bother doing your basal temp reading the next morning. Why is this? Would you readings be higher or lower? I have 2-3 glasses of wine every night - my average basal temp is 36.4 degrees. What do we think? Thanks Sheenah

7 Replies
oldestnewest

I think it lowers your temp as it dilates your blood vessels

Although I think it's more if you've really gone out and got blathered!

Miss your dose tonight and see if your Basal is different in the morning? Will be quite interesting.

I often have wine in the evening and I have compared temps with & without and they are pretty consistent. Haven't got blathered for years so not tried that!! :-)

My temperature never higher last few months than 34.2 ...don't drink so sorry not sure if it interferes with based temperature

Crikey that's low Lola!

Not entirely relevant - but 2-3 glasses of wine every night is rather more than any woman really ought to drink. One average glass of wine is 2-3 units,The recommended limit is 14-21 units a week.

Women metabolise alcohol less efficiently than men. Hypothyroidism means the liver does not function as well as it should and therefore a hypothyroid woman would be even more susceptible to liver damage from alcohol.

1 like

You may also like...