Thyroid UK

Is my thyroid struggling during the luteal phase of my menstrual cycle?

My thyroid was borderline underactive for over 12 months, then went overactive, then crashed and stayed under active. I have been on thyroxine since April this year. I'm currently taking 75mcg and at my last blood test in August my tsh was 2.4 and I was feeling much better. I still do feel better it's just that I am experiencing terrible pmt which I have never had before.

During the week before my period I feel physically unwell like I did with my thyroid- flu like aches & pains, headaches, nausea, brain fog. Psychologically I feel so low for a week and I'm not myself at all. It affects my work, my relationship with my partner and my performance at swimming (I swim on a regular basis in a team). It is horrid and I really can't do another month of this.

I wondered whether my thyroid was struggling during that week and it was causing symptoms even though it's normal, is this possible? I also experience a lot of breakthrough bleeding during my cycle as well although my hormone tests have always been normal (they do think my thyroid has been the reason I havent been able to conceive for 2yrs and possible cause of recent miscarriage)- I have had them repeated this month and get the results this week.

Does anyone have any advice or have experienced this? Would a higher dose of thyroxine help during that week?

Any info would be great :-)

1 Reply
oldestnewest

Hi sparrow , I have been in medication for 18 months now and suffered bad PMT and really long periods followed by migraines , like you I posted on this site and was told this sometimes happens but should settle with time which has shown to be true . I still get tired during my period but all in all so much better , hope this helps x

You may also like...