What does everyone recommend on ibs flare to eat?

Iv written on here a few days ago. I was in incredible pain. It's been constant for 2 weeks with 2 visits to doctors and an ambulance come out to me.

My main concern is I'm a single mother to a 3 year old I cannot eat for the life of me. The ambulance recommends banana. I can keep that down or in lol, but was wondering what other people find OK.

I do not believe my ibs is down to food as I have gone plant based. Then introduced dairy was fine. Then introduced meat again and I was fine. My doctor thinks it's down to stress. Yet the only thing I can think of being stressed is getting my boy to nursery when I suffer with aggrophobia. Any tips on how to deal with anxiety?

Thankyou for reading. Hope everyone else is feeling fit :)

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you looked into the FODMAPS diet? A lot of fruit and veggies can be major triggers for people with IBS. Several foods across all of the FODMAPS categories bug me, others foods on the list I can eat with no issue.

That being said, stress can be a cause, or major player in IBS as well. I try and fit in enough sleep, exercise and activities that relax me to reduce stress.

• Hi there your IBS sounds stress/anxiety related which can then set off IBS when your having a flare up most foods are problematic. Stick to foods your gut can digest easier such as bananas, rice and toast. I also have anxiety and can recommend counselling and cbt to break the cycle. Also self help books and meditation. Xx

• Hi there, I will agree with runswithdogs :-)

Nightshades absolutely destroy me, one spoon of baba ganoush and that's it for the day. I will need to spend the day indoors.

Funnily enough, bread only hurts me when I am stressed. Have you tried hot yoga?

I hope you feel better soon.

• Hi there Sammy, I would seriously look online for programmes where you can treat your anxiety i.e. your agoraphobia. I have a book from the Thrive Programme for Emetophobia and here is the link, it's worth looking as by the looks of it tacking this is the key to feeling better.

thriveprogramme.org/

Very best of luck.

• I was going to suggest bananas but looks like the ambulance people beat me to it.

Always worked for me if I had a flare up. I eat at least one every day now.

You may also like...