Fodmap diet

Hi

I have been doing the fodmap diet for a week and it's working but now I get very constipated.I took two maximum dose of senokot nothing I took 2 dulcolax tabs 10mg nothing I also take laxido satchets 3 a day still nothing.In desperation I am using glycerine suppositories every other day and that works. Not sure I should be using so many suppositories has any one out there had the same.

Thanks in advance for your ideas x

25 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I would speak to your GP.

• Yes I had the same when I first started Fodmaps it will probably even out after a few weeks. In the meantime using suppositories is much kinder on your digestive system than throwing endless tablets down your throat.

• Hi CHOCOLATE

Yes,i agree see your GP. Have you increased your water intake?

Probably need more. I find tea gets my system moving.Also walking helps with constipation.

regards

G.

• Hi their, while on the FODMAP DIET you should drink lots of water. And a cup of peppermint tea before you go to bed. Hope this helps

• Hi

Thank you all for your comments.I had a colonoscopy abou 8 months ago and was told I had IBS.After that you get no more help.They seem to think if it is not cancer there is nothing else they can do. Thank you sash I will persevere with the fodmap diet and see if things improve.I will drink more water as suggested .

Happy days but thank you all.

• Fennel tea and a heating pad.

• There's new information about the FODMAP diet - there have been some changes, so check out the latest on the MONASH University site - and get their APP if you can (it's cheap), for example, Camomile tea is now thought to be a FODMAP.

• Thanks Sheila yes I have got there app and it's very good.

Will try camomile tea but don't like it a lot.Any thing is worth a try though.

• Also on Fodmap try to take your full amount of fruit - pineapple orange...and veg green beans root veg.....

• Hi didn't know you could eat oranges but eat loads of bread.

Thanks for replying

• Sorry don't know what made me say loads of bread!!

I am eating gluten free and lactose free at the moment

Thanks for that

• Hi

I use suppositories most days and the consultants know this and have been ok with it, like someone else said, they are less harmful than oral medications, although I need those daily too !

• Hi thanks for replying will continue suppositories then when I need them.That has put my mind at rest.Its nice to know that I am not alone.

Thank you every one

• Hi All the advice uou have is good you must drink plenty and also exercise

is also very important to get things moving along.

• Thanks for advice I will drink more water and see how I go.

• Herbal drinks are good if you can't face drinking just plain water. I was advised to cut down on Tea so now have Fennel, Lemon /Ginger or Peppermint

• Hi, try soaking golden Linseeds in boiling water before drinking/ eating then follow that with at least half a pint of warm water. It works and it's full of omega 3. Good luck with the Fodmap, it's made a big difference to my life.

Foss

• Hi

Thanks for hat floss I didn't know you could eat linseed can you only eat the golden.I am new to this have only been doing it for a week but I am learning.

• I use a heaped tablespoonful of ground linseed in my cereal every morning and make sure I drink 2 litres of water every day and have no problems with constipation on the Low Fodmap diet.

• Hi I will try that and see how I get on.Thanks

• Hi, no brown are ok as well, can't see any difference myself except the golden look nicer. The brown ones are usually cheaper! The dietician I saw suggested them and they feature on most low Fodmap diet sheets that I've seen. Good luck, if you try it let us know how you got on!

Foss

• Thank you so much will give it a go.Will let you know how I get on but it is early days for me I think

Chocolate

• Sorry for misunderstanding - I meant that you should NOT have camomile tea - a dietician told me 2 weeks ago that it was a FODMAP.

• Hi AfricanSheila

I'm thinking of trying FODMAP too.....I like Fennel Tea....Lemon & Ginger....Peppermint.......are they all ok ?

I don't fully understand the FODMAP diet, does it work for IBSc and IBSd ?

I have IBS and get very constipated so only want to do what is going to help that.

I realise that we all have different triggers and am getting to know which are definite No No's for me.

Goodluck to both you and to Chocolate41

• That's good don't like it anyway.Am drinking herbal teas I take it they are ok but I guess it's trial and error with a lot of foods.

You may also like...