Hello and welcome!

Hi everyone :) Since we're all new here, why don't we take a minute to introduce ourselves?

I have a history of breast cancer in my family so I've been toying with the idea of being tested for the BRCA mutation, which, if I have it, increases my risk of developing ovarian cancer. For me, that's scarier than breast cancer because all of the breast cancer cases in my family have been early stage & easy to treat, but ovarian seems much more pernicious. I also work behind the scenes for this cancer support organization :)

How about you? What brings you here?

1 Reply

• Hi,

Until very recently, I thought I had no history of cancer in my family, as I hadn't known of any relatives with cancer. But then through a casual conversation with my dad, I learned that an aunt of his had died from breast cancer in her 40s, and soon after I learned that a cousin on my mom's side had breast cancer as well. She died about two years ago. It's really important to talk with your family because knowing your family's history of disease can inform your choices going forward, especially in relation to BRCA testing.

I am here as a supporter, as I have known several women with ovarian cancer.