Hiya all,  I told my rheumatologist about my RLS, and the fact it was getting unbearable, so he prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline. I've been taking it for about 2 months now, and it has worked, no more RLS. It took a couple of weeks to kick in, and now, I am the proud owner of a pair of restful legs, and it feels great. I don't know if it works for everyone, but if it's something you haven't tried, it might be worth having a chat with your Dr. 

11 Replies

• Hi Kazzy, I am pleased that it is helping you but need to point out that for the vast majority of us with RLS that Amitriptyline will make symptoms much worse. I tried it and it ramped my symptoms up to a new level . Now and then I have heard of someone like yourself getting relief from it but generally it is a med to be avoided.x

• Hiya Pippens2, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I also take Co-Codemal, because of my arthritic pain, and I take 2 at the same time I take the Amitriptyline. I wonder if it helps that I'm mixing the two. x

• Maybe that could be helping .Long may it continue for you. X

• Thank you Pippens2 x

• Hi Kazzy, I take 20mg of Amitriptyline for other medical problems but it does not help my Restless Leg, if anything is make it worst.

• So sorry to hear that Joyce. I wish they could find a drug, that suited all. My heart goes out to you, and I hope you find some relief soon x

• Thank you very much

• Now this is getting VERY confusing Some say yay ,and some say nay ,,to taking Amitriptyline

• I think it's just a case of, what works for some, doesn't work for others, Mopsy. It's worth a try x

• I was on amitriptyline for a while and it worked to start with. Then eventually it increased my symptoms and the rls spread to my arms as well as having in my legs. I decided to stop taking it. I hope you have more success than I did with it.

• I have been taking low dose Amitriptyline for  week now.   I was worried about interaction with other meds I take for Arthritis, but was assured it was safe.   It has definitely helped the RLS but makes me sleepy.   I'm hoping this will wear off as I don't feel safe to drive yet.

You may also like...