PSA results: I’ve just seen the results... - Prostate Cancer N...

Prostate Cancer Network
1,997 members964 posts

PSA results

PositiveSurvival
PositiveSurvival
8 Replies

I’ve just seen the results from my PSA test done on Monday.

My PSA is 2.3. I am 49 years old.

However the last test I had done was in 2014 and it was 0.7 then. Not had follow up chat with doctor yet.

Although my latest test is within the “normal” range for my age- should I be concerned at this stage about the velocity of change between the 2 tests?

Thanks

8 Replies
oldestnewest
Tall_Allen

Nope. Just make sure you eliminate other, more usual causes of elevated PSA before you agree to a biopsy. Prostate Health Index (PHI) is a better test than PSA alone. No sex or bike riding 2 days before it.

4 likes
PositiveSurvival

Many thanks. It’s just that a jump of 1.6 in 4 years doesn’t sound good to me.

Tall_Allen

It's very slow. Probably BPH. Ask for PHI.

1 like
PositiveSurvival

Am I right in thinking that a velocity of 0.75 / year or more is considered the red flag threshold?

Tall_Allen

No. There is no "red flag threshold." You are just making up things that will only increase anxiety. Stick with best practices and with what you know.

1 like
jimbay

Tall Allen knows so much more than me, but you are correct that many reputable cited texts use a velocity of 0.75 / year as a very general guideline for being "worrisome" for cancer. Looks like you are half of that. So don't worry just yet, follow Tall Allan's and your doctor's advice.

1 like
dentaltwin

You don't say if there was a specific reason for you to start prostate cancer screening early, nor when you started.

The United States Preventive Services Task Force periodically issues recommendations for various cancer screening procedures. I get the general sense that many (perhaps most) men here have not followed their recommendations, which continue to be very controversial among urologists.

But I myself don't reject their reasoning out of hand. There should be a reason you are getting a PSA reading. A broad reading of this may place your apparent alarm in context.

uspreventiveservicestaskfor...

Also, try not to spend too much time on google--it's bad for sleep.

3 likes

You may also like...