Had PMR for over 7 years and been on pred all that time. Increased for flares then decrease. Longest time on small maintenance dose was over 2 years then flare and back up again. Never able to get off completely
Had 1st TKR July 2016 and initially all good, then 3 major flares within short time post op. Hadn't been given any IV hydrocortisone peri operatively, and with the increase in oral pred over last year am a 'butterball' again. (at least wrinkles on face filled out!)
My ortho. surgeon wants to do other knee (as bone on bone and I have to use crutches or rollator to mobilise... all this very quickly happened within last few months)
Rheumy said prefer to wait till pred. down to under 5mg but at 9mg now (was back up to 25mg) but said should be ok. I am 70, been fairly active and retired 3 years ago and was expecting to have 'travel retirement'...lol
My dilemma being, I have put on 14kg in last year and not looking like losing anytime soon, as unable to walk more than few metres at a time (been going to pool and walking) Ortho thinks not worry about weight gain, as a vicious circle of trying lose weight but not being able exercise, therefore have knee replacement and (hopefully) be able to mobilise more freely and weight loss follows? Rheumy thinks maybe better to wait till March next year until down to lower dose pred. I thought I was prepared to have op in October, but now unsure...... I feel 'flat' and would be grateful for any suggestions or advice from you, I felt like I was going forward last year then a giant cricket bat whacked me back down!
Thanks to all who post and share their concerns/advice/encouragement on this site... x
ps my son is more pragmatic.... said should have done sooner than later, as 'who knows what going to happen later'......... oooooooh