PBC Foundation
6,393 members5,630 posts


Please can someone tell me what are the normal ranges for all the tests that are taken when checking levels due to PBC, as there is nothing on the internet that shows the "normal" range of these tests to enable one to establish what any results mean.

For example, what is the "normal" range of the AMA blood test, which would show how high my own AMA;s are. Many people keep quoting their results, but no one has advised what the normal levels of all the blood test results are (not just AMA;s).

Many thanks

9 Replies

Hi. I understand your frustration. What are the numbers and I will give you an idea of what they mean.


Hello Ginger_11.

When you get your blood results in print out there are the what are considered normal ranges and as you will see majority of us with PBC and on urso still have what are known as elevated (or abnormal as they are often described in the UK where I am). We can see at a glance our difference but unfortunately I've failed to find out what is considered 'normal' for someone with PBC being diagnosed 6 years this year.

We do have a different 'normal' scale range with having PBC but all I have tended to receive is 'OK for this patient' on my blood checks. So I don't bother myself. As long as the bloods are considered stable as in not much difference since dropping down from taking urso December 2010 I don't take much notice these days.

As for the AMAs, I only ever got the result from the consultant 'high titre' (titre being the measure) and with symptons (itching and at the time fatigue) and blood work I was diagnosed with PBC. I've never had a recheck and once more I'm not that interested.


It's hard to give the 'normal' ranges, as they vary (slightly) from lab to lab. It's also important to know the units that the chemical is measured in, as wildly different figures will be given if different units are used.

Eg, the lab that my GPs use (I'm in Devon, but the Lab my Practice uses, is not the one used by a friend's GP and she is only a few miles away) gives the acceptable range for GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) as 5.0 - 35 iu/L.

However, the hospital lab where my specialist works, gives the range for GGT as 5.0 - 40 iu/L.

But, it also transpires that, as women get older, our GGT naturally goes up, so both my specialist and GP are not worried that my GGT is a little outside the range - so long as it doesn't shoot up, and all the others, especially ALP, are fine.

The big issue is, that in with people with serious liver conditions, particularly PBC, the numbers zoom up into the 100s, 10s of 100s, and more.

As for AMAs ... There are different sub-types of AMA, and the different types are typical of different autoimmune conditions, eg Lupus (I think). AMA M2 is the one most common for PBC. Also, everything I have read says: that higher levels of AMA give no indication of the likelihood of developing PBC (eg in someone like me, who has high M2 AMAs, but who still does not have any abnormal liver function - or other blood - tests, and also has no symptoms of PBC, and is therefore not diagnosed as having PBC). Just having AMAs - even type M2, even a high level - does not mean you have PBC - although it can always develop, and you need to keep having regular lfts etc, for life.

If you Google 'Laboratory tests (for PBC)? ', and have a look at several different ones, you should get an idea of the ranges. Also, as Peridot says, ask at your GPs for a printout of your results from the Lab. It is your 'right' (in the UK) to have a copy (there may be a small charge), and any Lab worth their while will state the units the chemical is measured in, and the 'normal' ranges that they use for each chemical.

Hope this helps.


when you look at your lab results it will show a normal range beside your result.


Biliruban <22

Alkaline Phophotase 45-129 UL

Alanine aminotransferese 10-44 UL

Aspartate aminotransferese 7-31 UL

those are the ranges printed on the lab results - hope that helps. in terms of what your results "mean" that's something only a doctor should interpret.


Hey Mandy from BC Canada we have what's called myehealth we register on line and we can check all our blood work it tells you the normal range and if your high or low. Then I Google what that does for my body and I go see my doctor


Hi i dont know about the ana but the rest if you google normal level for e.g.alk phos it give you the normal ranges.or you can put in the no.the question is this high you should get some suitable answers.

You just have to google separaely rather than looking for them altogeather...hope that helps

Best wishes cazer.

1 like

Here in Australia the Dr will print the results for me and on that sheet is a normal range and my levels. The ones that are high or low are in darker or red ink so its easy for me too read them. They also print on the same page the last three to four tests so it's easy to gauge how i am going.


I'm not a expert on the subject but having a wife that works in the medical testing business I know a bit. Every hopital, lab, or even doctors use different set of values. So one lab will have ama 25 or higher is positive. Were a different lab will use 30 or higher. That was just an example. Most lab results will give ranges and cut off numbers. If they dont, your doctor will tell you or on the lab's website should say. My wife's work has a huge building full of customer service reps to answer questions. They were helpful when I have had questions about some non pbc test questions. Bottom line is every lab is different.



You may also like...