Pernicious Anaemia Society
16,697 members11,567 posts

Why not use fine needles like 27G or 25G as a starting point?

The general advice is to use a broader needle (such as a green 21G) to draw up the B12 and then a slightly narrower one to inject (such as a blue 23G for the thigh muscle).

Personally, I found long needles (orange 25G or grey 27G in 40mm lengths) cause less soreness afterwards than a 23G.

Of course we should use whichever needle we find best but is there any reason not to propose such fine needles in general for most people?

What advantages of a 23G needle am I missing?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

I agree , but it’s difficult to find the 25 , 27 or 30 gauge in a length suitable for I.M injections . I would buy them if I knew your source . B12 injections are admirably suited to fine needles because the solution is watery .

I echo that.

The finer needles are slightly more expensive but that wouldn't stop me buying them if I readily could.

1 like

Could you please let us know how to source those fine gauge dental injection needles ? I’ve tried on the internet without success . Thank-you .

2 likes

Hi Wedgwood!

Just checking you got the excellent following reply! x

Thank you deniseinmilden. I hadn’t see it ! Excellent !

1 like

Hello Wedgewood and Denise, long thin needles are available from Exchange Supplies. They cost about double what Medisave usually charges for standard needles. The ones I have are Sterican brand made by BBraun who list them for dental anaesthesia.

Long orange 25 gauge 40mm (1½ inch) needle (£7.92 for 100) exchangesupplies.org/shopdi...

Long grey 27 gauge 40mm (1½ inch) needle (£6.60 for 100) exchangesupplies.org/shopdi...

Add £5 for delivery.

Several sellers on eBay also list these but I am not so confident of shopping on eBay. Other medical suppliers (Medistock, GPsupplies, MedicalBox, etc) list the 27G but not the 25G.

3 likes

Thank you!

Due to order again soon so perfect timing too!

Best wishes to you! Denise

You may also like...