Pernicious Anaemia Society
15,812 members11,090 posts


My gp recently referred me an nhs haematologist to get advise on my b12 and other levels.

My b12 result 215ng/L range (180-2000. I have been told that they are normal results and that they won’t see me. I’ve tried to challenge there decision saying the test is not accurate and it also states this in nhs website, I have numerous symptoms of b12 deficiency and ask to be treated according to nice guidelines with a therapeutic trial.

They are still saying they can’t help me. I don’t know where to go from here apart from trying to do it myself but I really feel that the doctors should be addressing this.

Please can I have advise? Can I complain to health board?

3 Replies


Link about writing letters to GP about B12 deficiency.

Point 5 is about being symptomatic for B12 deficiency with a normal range result.

Following links (UK info) emphasise the need to treat patients who are symptomatic for B12 deficiency even if B12 result is within range.

BSH Cobalamin and Folate Guidelines

Flowchart from BSH Cobalamin and Folate Guidelines

BMJ B12 article

I've written a detailed response on this thread....

Lots more B12 info in pinned posts on this forum.

CAB NHS complaints


Hi Hidden Sleepybunny has pointed you toward the BSH guidelines the important clause which covers your predicament is Clause 4

"In the presence of discordance between the test result and strong clinical features of deficiency, treatment should not be delayed to avoid neurological impairment."


I wonder if the haematologist refused to see you because you don't have Anaemia. Perhaps a neurologist would be a more sensible referral. It's worth a try. The problem is that B12 deficiency falls into many different specialisms, none of who seem especially competent to deal with it based upon findings of contributors to this blog.


You may also like...