How effective are shop-bought supplements?

Hello everyone. I have a list of symptoms a mile long which all point towards B12 deficiency, the most obvious being burning mouth syndrome as well as the usual 'fogs', giddiness and tiredness. I have an under active thyroid which has been stable for 17 years and I take 10mg of a protein pump inhibitor daily. I have just had my blood test results which say I have a B12 rating of 342 and acceptable mid-range levels of folate and iron. I have basically been told by my GP to go away and come back if I still feel the same in 4 weeks. I asked if I could have a B12 injection to see if it made a difference and I got a lecture about professional ethics. I feel deflated and upset.

My question is: what is the strength of the B12 injections? Is there any way shop bought supplements can make a difference? I have bought some that are 1000ug (what ever that means) but I guess it will be pointless if I am not processing the vitamin through the digestive system anyway.

I am now stuck with one neuropathy (burning mouth) and want to make sure I am not going to have other irreversible damage done at the tender age of 61!

Thanks in advance for any supportive replies.

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Perhaps your "professional ethics" doctor should read clause four of the BSH guidelines for treatment of low B12 which says:

"In the presence of discordance between the test result and strong clinical features of deficiency, treatment should not be delayed to avoid neurological impairment".

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...

• Hello RosalindB,,,,,your body will take what it needs from supplements,,,,and pass out what it does not,,,wee could go bright yellow!!!,,,,increase foods that are high in B vit,,and just stick to the dose on the bottle,,and see how you go,,hope this helps a bit,,,ttfn from karen.

You may also like...