Pernicious Anaemia Society
14,711 members10,465 posts

should I go private?

Hi all, I'm back, no progress with GP :( now wondering to get myself referred privately to a hematologist.

Brief history, had to take iron (ferrous sulphate) for last 20 years (200mg increased to 400mg 4 years ago) then a year ago my ferritin went above range so told to stop taking iron (despite having been told I'd have to take it for life) since then my serum iron has been dropping consistently (ferritin still high) July 11.4, Oct 9.3, December, 8.2 (range 11.5 - 30) Immunologist prescribed ferrous fumarate in January but GP and Gastro say not to take it because it will only increase my ferritin levels. GP will not refer to Haemo so am wondering whether to go private as i feel this is where I need to be,

Fed up, frustrated, as well as all the other symptoms!


2 Replies

turns out that going private isn't an option, it's £250 just for the consultation!


Hi Catalonia13,

I've forgotten which country you are in.

If you are in UK, there is a charity called "HDA patient care trust" which offers free second opinions on medical diagnoses and treatment. they are usually quick to respond to enquiries.

"GP will not refer to Haemo"

Can you try another GP?

1 like

You may also like...