Latest blood results

Latest blood results

My wife has hypoparathyroidism - full removal of thyroid glands and all 4 parathyroid glands (calcium regulating glands) in Nov 1996 (20-years ago).

I posted wife's blood bests for the Past 5-years on: (https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/134256266/my-wifes-blood-tests-for-the-past-5-years).

A respondent by the name of 'Clutter' (https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/134251399/5-years-blood-test-results) kindly commented on the results, and suspected pernicious anaemia, and suggested I post the latest blood test results on this site for further feedback.

I'll post here the latest blood results (Sept 2016). Blood results for the past 5-years can be found in the above link.

Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Follow on results can be found here:

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

• Looking back over posts - and please bear in mind that I am not medically qualified - the B12 serum levels tend to be in the 400-500 range so well into the normal range but also potentially in the grey area where people can experience problems - however, the fact that they have remained resonably constant in the last 5 years would imply that there isn't an absorption problem/

Proper evaluation of B12 deficiency requires evaluation of symptoms but that is going to be difficult given the overlap with thyroid.

What I did notice however was that the results from 2014 and 2015 did imply a degree of microcytosis - low MCH and MCV - generally B12 defieicency is associated with high MCH and MCV (macrocytosis) but these results would point to an iron anaemia - not clear if this has been treated.

symptoms of B12 deficiency can be found here

pernicious-anaemia-society....

However, not only the thyroid but also the microcytosis will have an overlap of symptoms so would be either of rhtose.

folate seems a littel on the low side though not below range - as folate is needed to process B12 the symptoms of folate deficiency are similar to those of B12 deficiency - though there is much less variation in the ranges where people are symptomatic of folate deficiency than there is with B12 deficiency.

• Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the very informative response. Lots of material and pointers to follow-up and digest.

You may also like...