So, I'm having the B12 injections and I know it can take months to help neurological problems such as I have and although I've seen improvements in arms and with brain fog, my legs just don't seem to be improving as yet. My MMA test came back at 263 (<280) which the lady at the B12 deficiency site tells me is in the grey area.
When I went for my jab last week, suddenly, it was sprung on me that my surgery won't give me any more shots. I referred them back to the NEQAS b12 alert, I'd printed off for them and the NICE guidelines that say if someone has neurological symptoms (like I have) you keep treating until no further improvement is seen but even the letter from my neurologist asking them to treat me with b12 for 3-6 months, is not to be adhered to because the neurologist didn't put in writing the actual words EVERY OTHER DAY.
I persuaded them to let me have them for one more week until my regular doctor comes back off leave and I can argue it out with him but I'm now doubting if I'm doing the wrong thing anyway and should just accept the Topamax the neurologist prescribed as a back up.
Just HOW do I know when to accept the b12 is not going to help my legs and move to the Topamax? I'm 'in range' for B12 but have a confirmed very low SIGA, indicating a leaky gut, so that alone, besides the autoimmune conditions I have may well mean I do not absorb vitamins properly.
My latest full blood count shows three things slightly out of range but these tests were done six weeks or so ago and nobody at my surgery has even mentioned this to me.
The ones in red on the print out I requested are:-
Total white cell count 3.6 10*9/L (4.00 - 11.0010*9/L)
Neutrophil count 2.1 10*9/L. (2.50 - 7.5010*9/L)
Lymphocyte count 1.2 10*9/L (1.50 - 4.0010*9/L
I asked the nurse if a doctor might spare a few minutes to talk through these results with me but he just said he didn't understand them, so told me to wait until the other doctor is back off leave.
These results probably have nothing to do with B12 but maybe they are linked to the change of cells in my thyroid nodules (THY 3) I now have.
I can't stand all this constant waiting and pushing for answers. I'm going to try to get in touch with the neurologist for advice today but is there anyone else out there who has been in my position of trying to decide to fight for and persevere with B12 or change to Topamax?
its such a hard decision.
Thanks for reading. I know I'm a pain.
UPDATE: I despair. Three times I've chased requests from my neurologist for my surgery to sort out me having a brain scan and a tilt table test. On each occasion I was told it was in hand. My hubby phoned the hospital direct to be told in fact neither referral had been auctioned. I went back to the surgery to ask what the hell is going on and finally get a call back to say the referral seems to have got lost. So, six weeks wasted. But hey, it's only an important brain scan‼️‼️‼️