Sorry if this seems a bit too much repeated info on my case, but wanted to include some past info, so I could ask an opinion on the problem I have ....
In march I started to experience strong numbness and tingling in my left hand to the point it was hard to feel things - (have had multiple occurrences of this over the years, but put down to iron deficiency by GP)
Coming into April/May my balance was becoming pretty bad but most worrying for me - my vision in my right eye was being affected.
At this point went to the FIRST GP who made me a neurologist appointment without doing bloods.
Went back to a SECOND GP to request bloods - they came back
B12 156ng/L (191-663)
Serum folate 3.6 ug/L (4.6-18.7)
So he noted b12 and folate where low. Said to me that he wouldn't use injections until b12 falls under 100. So packed me on my way with cobalamin tablets 50mg and folic acid 5mg both to be taken once a day for 2 months til my bloods will be checked again. (Didn't take them, but didn't know then what I know now about not accepting tabs if not diet related and neurological involvement)
He also said iron was slightly low but not enough to be treated.
I said I was worried I wasn't absorbing b12 properly and he ordered intrinsic factor and Parietal cell antibody bloods - parietal came back positive, but IF hasn't come back yet
** But this is my BIG ISSUE atm - HELP!: **
I went to the neurologist who has noticed an abnormality in some of the reflexes in my feet and something in my eye - he noted possible central nervous system inflammation pending further investigation and thinks the b12 issue is a red herring.
I'm had my MRI of head and spine today, and follow up with him in Aug.
Yesterday as I was frustrated I went to a THIRD GP. She said she was shocked at the 2nd GPs approach to treatment and she would have put me on injections straight away because of the neurological issues.
BUT, then she read the neurologists report and his thinking that it wasn't a B12 issue. At that point she seemed unsure about going ahead with injections based on this (she knew of the neurologist by reputation and said she respected his opinion.)
I fully admit I think I may have backed her into a corner when she maybe wanted to wait for the outcome of the neurologists findings. So she has me starting loading doses on Tuesday (as it's a bank holiday here in NI on Monday)
Did I do the wrong thing? I am so confused as what to do - should I go ahead with the injections or wait til the neurologist finishes his tests?
Would b12 affect any further tests, I.e lumber puncture if I needed it?