L5/S1 nerve damage

Hi all.

I was suffering with severe pain down my right leg and foot for over a year. I was all sorts of medication to try and ease the pain but nothing really worked. Anyway after a couple of MRI scans it showed my disc had prolapsed and was crushing my nerve. To cut a long story short...... I have just come out of surgery 3 days ago where they cut the part of the disc that was crushing the nerve. I no longer have any pain in my leg but my lower back is constantly burning where they operated. I have approximately a 3 inch scar. The dressing is still on but it's very sore. Does anyone know how long this burning lasts.

Thanks everyone.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You may have an infection in your wound ??

• Hi

That part of your body really doesn't like being disturbed and sorting the disc isn't a straightforward op so it will be sore for a few days yet. The surgeon had to cut through and move tissue which will be sore too plus obviously, the cut in your skin!

Hang in there - it does calm down eventually. If you get a high temperature then this could indicate an infection but don't worry yourself prematurely!

Take it easy for a few more days and keep up basic pain relief. Ease yourself into normal daily activities slowly.

All the best

RayJayC

• Thanks for the comments.

The dressing has now come off and I'm just left with the stitches where they are covered by the strips. Pain is good at the moment. I have walked a bit so that's good. Its still sore and tender but I know that's only temporary. I have my first physio session today,so hopefully that all goes well.

Cheers

You may also like...