I went to see the hospital consultant this morning. I’d asked to see a different consultant and although her registrar had contacted me and offered me the appointment, I actually saw her – for a good ¾ hr.
She was very thorough, took a full case history and about how I had been recently. And she did a very thorough physical examination. She told me that as far as she could see, I’ve got a complicated situation – yes I’ve got RA, but also some osteoarthritis and she wants to rule out drug related lupus. Her approach would have been to look into that but continue with the infliximab. But now I’ve been off it a couple of weeks she wants to do a scan and blood tests to really eliminate it – as while it may not be a problem now it might be in the future.
She offered me a choice – though a rather weighted one. To opt to get infliximab asap, or to delay it until I can have the scan and the blood test results. She gave me a steroid injection to help me through for a little while.
I really feel that I have been listened to seriously and that she has a steady, methodical approach I felt that she wanted me to be involved with my treatment and to share the decision making. This is what I wanted all along.
I’m going away to rest now. I haven’t decided whether to pursue this complaint against the other doctor, I’ll make up my mind over the next few days. But thanks for rooting for me. I think it shows that if you see a doctor who doesn’t take you seriously it makes sense to ask around and go for a second opinion. I will be staying with her now.