Hello, just seeing if anyone in Kent is on here and heard anything yet? Doctors didn’t even know there was a ‘third jab’ and rheumatologist won’t call back. No letter or text (am eligible). Just seeing if anyone in my area has had better luck? Many thanks
Third Primary Jab: Hello, just seeing if anyone in... - NRAS
Suggest your GP consults The Green Book Chapter 14a page 20 onwards where it states who is entitled to a third primary dose (and a booster after another 6 months).
Thank you for this! I have just sent it to my GP surgery, they are woefully inept so I am not holding out much hope but you never know, thank you again!
Hiya Lola, thanks for the link. Try as I may, and believe me I've tried, my doctors etc don't seem to know which vaccine I'll be having?? Reading section 2, page 21 of chapter 14a, am I right in thinking that someone being treated with JAK Inhibitors for RA, like me, qualify for the 3rd primary vaccine with a follow-up booster 6 months later?
Yes that’s my understanding of the situation.
How are you Wish? Not heard from you for ages. X
My RA has been playing up this past few weeks so I'm waiting for a new prescription to increase my dose of baricitinib, which I really didn't want to do with covid being so widespread. Other than that I'm not too bad thanks. Hope things are ok with you?
I’m pretty good thanks. Finally off the Prednisolone and succeeded in losing nearly two stone. Waiting to find out when I can have my third dose of vaccine but depends on when my B cells have repopulated.
Well done Lola!...not much fun coming off Prednisolone from what I've heard. The 3rd vaccine is a sore topic with me. I've been having a heck of a job trying to get some sense from anyone, and most disappointingly I include my rheumy dept here.
My GP claimed not to know about it so I printed stuff out for her and highlighted relevant bits. She gets it now!!
I was going to say that I'll be asking rheumy to look at the appropriate sections in the Green Book if I don't recieve any reassurance by late next week. But after seeing the results of the JCVI you've just posted I hope there won't be any need to. Providing Wales follow the same guidance that is?
I found that stuff on the BSR website. X
I wish this country would stop the tendency to overcomplicate things. Surly it would be easier to offer the 3rd primary vaccine to everyone thought to have weakened immune systems and all those taking immune suppressants instead of faffing around, which is probably causing serious illness and death.
Hi, I’m also Kent (North) . I rang my GP and was told it is not the primary dose but the third booster and the same as everyone else. It would also not be offered until 6 months after the 2nd. They’ve had no guidance. Guidance is clear with jcvi and public health England 🙄. I have a friend who is hospital office nhs staff and she was offered hers yesterday and said it states the 3rd dose is a primary dose for immune compromised & is a full dose with a booster in six months time again . Everyone else is getting a half dose. So important they get it right! I’m considering emailing my mp.
I just spoke to the doctor as had to make an appt for my daughter and flagged it again, I’ve also emailed the guidance Lolabridge kindly sent and they don’t have a clue. I find it alarming they aren’t up to date with official government guidance, it’s really isn’t hard. Going to try my rheumatologist again but they rarely return calls. Sounds like that’s a good plan!
Mr GP surgery have replied saying they’ll be in touch re a booster! I’ve written back asking them to actually read the email and the guidance and to escalate the email. It’s all quite painful!
I’ve just emailed my MP, Gareth Johnson. Glad you’ve had a response! x
Our PCN Swanley and Rural are giving 3rd doses to those eligible. Do you know what PCN your practice is a part of ?
No, but I’m in Dartford? Where do you find out pls? I’m definitely eligible as on azathioprine and Abatacept.
Sorry, found it. My GP is insisting there is no 3rd primary dose and it’s all part of the boosters and that we wait until 6 months from our 2nd dose. I emailed my mp yesterday.
You could try contacting kent and Medway ccg. They will know who should be providing these for you and could help get it sorted.
I got my NHS letter today and it clearly states there is a third primary dose for those eligible
There are so many threads on this now, Think I started the 1st one a month ago the day the 3rd primary dose was announced.
I'm copy-pasting my latest post from other threads below, and I am in Kent also.
My Doc called today and he didn't know about a 3rd primary dose!
He thanked me and said he probably should have known and will speak to/email our local vaccine administering community to see what arrangements they have in place for this and come back to me within the week.
Kent must be like Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire. My doctors here know nothing about it either. It appears that we are the forgotten ones living in the ‘sticks’.
My husband and I are having our Covid jabs which I assumed meant our 'booster' jabs tomorrow teatime and our flu jabs on Saturday morning. We had text messages to book earlier this week. The flu jab will be administered by our GP.
If you read the letter dated 27/9/21 from Sajid Javid to all those previously designated CEV…..;(I only received the email yesterday, )it gives some idea of when you might be contacted re any further vaccinations.I must admit I only scanned it ……but it might be of interest if you are worried about getting a further vaccination.
I don’t have a letter or text , I was CEV last time and nothing has changed so unsure why I haven’t received anything. I’m on a dmard, biologic and oral steroids so definitely qualify
I don’t know how they time these letters….but there are many reasons …including all sorts of email hiccups why we don’t all receive communications at the same time.Yours will probably arrive soon…but tbh there is nothing much in this latest screed that we didn’t already know.
Hoping I may be able to use it to go to a vaccination centre. 119 just then didn’t even know there was a third primary vaccine and my GP didn’t know they existed either
I spent 5 days writing to my surgery constantly to explain that it was their duty to provide the third primary jab (I’m on Biologics). Having spent hours on the phone with 119 who were unable to book and the GP misunderstanding the distinction between third primary and the general booster, I copied and pasted a section from the Royal College of Physicians website which explains the situation clearly. In the end I wrote a complaint to the practice manager and finally I got a result and am booked in (by GP not 119) but I also persuaded them to write an official letter so that I could attempt to walk in to a vaccination centre as I believe this is a potential option. Please just keep persevering.
Thank you for this, I will do this too, cross as we really shouldn’t have to x
I am having my flu jab in Boots this afternoon. My GP surgery don't know when they are going to get vaccine. Since I qualify for a free flu jab, the Boots one is free too but I know from previous years that you can pay a small amount to get one there.
Also, they are delivering 3rd Covid jabs if you are eligible and its at least 6 months since your second jab. Both jabs can be booked online with Boots for your nearest Boots store and they have a very helpful phone line for asking questions.
Hope that helps.
I think that even if and when our GP surgeries are provided with the vaccines, getting ours differently lifts their load a bit.
I agree DenMum…we do have to take some responsibility…….like arranging our own Influenza Vaccinations.I have started doing that …& although of lot of GPs have started their annual vaccination programme…..I’m sure a few less to jab will be welcomed.
Hi, yes my GP didn’t have any flu vaccines so I arranged to have mine at the pharmacy last week. The third jab is not the same as a booster, the third ‘primary’ jab is to be at least 8 weeks after the second jab, the booster is the one that is for six months after the second jab. That’s the issue GP’s are getting confused which is causing this issue
Hi Domhem, we live in Kent and have not heard anything yet!
Update, told I can go into the local walk in centre and have it. Going to go next week as biologic due next week and then leave two weeks either side. Maybe try emailing your GP
I live in SE Kent and have had a text from my GP and an email from the Trust inviting me to book a third booster covid jab - which I booked to get tomorrow at the large vaccination centre near here. I'm wondering whether I should be asking my GP or rheumatologist about getting the 3rd primary instead now? (I'm taking Baricitinib and Leflunomide at present - no steroids)
I would ask, I’m unsure if the booster jab is a reduced dose or not, some things I’ve read seem to say it is. The third primary jab is a full dose. The government have been quite clear in their literature but sadly it seems not in their communication as my GP hasn’t a clue!
Can i ask when your last covid vaccine was, was it 6 months ago? If yes it's probably "called a booster" If less than that 6 months ago it's probably a 3rd primary dose. I'm in Maidstone, anywhere near you?
Hi Deminem, I'm in Ash, near Sandwich. My second jab was six months ago and they've invited me for a "booster". I spoke with my sister in law last night (she's a GP in Essex) and she said the third primary dose and booster dose are the same Pfizer jab, unless you get given the moderna one which is given as a half dose, as there are strong side effects at the higher dose... so she said don't worry about what they are calling it, just have the jab and wait to hear about having a 4th "booster" in six months time...
I live in West Kent; my Trust is the Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.
I have an appointment next Tuesday 5th October for the third primary vaccine (pfizer).
I was told by the hospital to phone 119 for the appointment. I take methotrexate and infliximab (biologic). And I should leave two weeks before and after the vaccine before recommencing the biologic. I can have the flu vax a week after the covid vax.
Hope this is helpful.
That’s really helpful, thank you, I’m East Kent, I’m going to call 119 too. They sound very efficient and great to hear there are at least some parts of Kent that know what they are doing! Thank you
I just called 119 and they said they aren’t booking any third primary jabs, only boosters. The guy I spoke to hadn’t even heard of a primary third jab. There are serious communication issues going on
Oh No! That is amazing! Phone the rheumatology debt - the Helpline there should be able to tell you what is going on. Here both 3rd primary jabs and also lower booster doses for those with allergies are being given - we had a choice between T. Wells and East Peckham - both operated by Pharmacy 2 You. The first in an Army Reserve barracks! and the other in the village hall. The barracks where I am going is giving both pfizer and moderna jabs, depending on the drugs you are taking and any allergies you may have.
119 are not informed about type of vaccine or whether they are primary or booster - they just make the appointments. He shouldn't have guessed what will happen - that's for those administering the jab to decide. It's a medical decision - nothing to do with a clerk making appointments. Don't be put off by misinformation like that.
Your rheumatology debt must know what your status is, but if I were you I would make the appointment at the centre convenient to you anyway. You are ulnerable and need the vaccine - most will be primary; only exceptional cases will have a lower dose. My husband has no underlying medical conditions - he is perfectly fit - and he had the 3rd primary dose yesterday.
I’m on the CEV list in east Kent and am yet to hear anything.
I’m East Kent, I’ve got the letter in the post today but my GP is ignoring me and 119 wouldn’t help
Update, spoke to my rheumatologist and they sent a letter to my GP saying I needed another primary dose. My GP has now replied to me after emailing them lots and said I can go into the walk-in centre and have it. I’m going to do it next week as only had my biologic last week and want to leave two weeks either side of having it. So maybe email your GP
I was told I only need the booster in six months I am on Tocilizumab
Me again from Maidstone kent.
So my GP just called me back after I spoke to him on Tuesday re the 3rd primary dose. Then he knew nothing about it until I educated him
He said since I raised it he's been doing some digging and found out that the letters are late going out to CEV for our area but have now started. He says as I've raised this and he didn't even know about it he was happy to write me a letter now( bless at 6.45pm) to give to a walk-in clinic at my convenience any day from now. He thanked me again as he did on Tuesday for drawing his attention to it and said I'd helped him by the inquiry.
I've always rated my Doc, but think he's just become teacher's pet......me being the teacher obv.....hehe!
Before I called to speak to him on Tuesday I hadn't heard anything from any quarters. re 3rd primary jab and it had been a month since it was supposed to be implemented. I know now that some here were contacted by email/letters and were told not to call their GP, if I'd known that I wouldn't have called him. Just goes to show, and I'm glad I did as it may help others too.
Not what you're looking for?
You may also like...
Are they calling it that just to confuse us again!
Isn't this just another name for the booster?!...
told by rheumatologist to be very cautious.
I had third dose (Pfizer) nearly 3 weeks ago and just...
Right, here we go. . Just had an email from my Rheumatologist department answering my email pointing
had loads of questions about this and NRAS have just done an incredibly helpful Q&A on Facebook re...
Just thought I'd share this with those of us working in primary schools.
This is the list of...