Third vaccine for Covid: Just wondering if anyone has... - NRAS

NRAS

32,130 members39,210 posts

Third vaccine for Covid

GinnyE profile image

Just wondering if anyone has been offered the third vaccine yet?

57 Replies

I had my third one done today x

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to Summerrain14

👌

ks1966 profile image
ks1966 in reply to Summerrain14

Hi. What criteria are they using ? Tks

Klc2ict profile image
Klc2ict in reply to ks1966

Pfizer

I'm going tomorrow, but could have had it last week.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to rounder

👌

ks1966 profile image
ks1966 in reply to rounder

Hi. What criteria are they using? Tks

rounder profile image
rounder in reply to ks1966

I had a letter from the local NHS identifying me as severely immune suppressed due to medication, I assume it's the abatacept, but take several meds for my bronchiectasis and asthma too. X

Neonkittie17 profile image
Neonkittie17 in reply to rounder

I believe your bronchiectasis and asthma will mean you are identified as someone with comorbidites. Some conditions not in the official list still make you eligible for the booster.

rounder profile image
rounder in reply to Neonkittie17

Quite possibly, though my understanding is it's about the level of immune suppression at this point. Whatever, I am now officially vaccinated 3 times!!

Neonkittie17 profile image
Neonkittie17 in reply to rounder

That’s great. 🙏🏻 I’m waiting for B cells to return before I can repeat my covid vaccines. Didn’t work before .. no antibodies .. Rituximab. Co-morbidities do play a part in being eligible. States this on the BSR site.

cathie profile image
cathie in reply to rounder

It'd be very helpful if you said roughly where you are. Just so people near you know what's happening

rounder profile image
rounder in reply to cathie

I live in Wolverhampton. I have to day that sadly not all local GP surgeries are as efficient!

Did the gp contact you directly?

Summerrain14 profile image
Summerrain14 in reply to allanah

My GP surgery contacted me directly last week about the third vaccine which I had yesterday. My rheumatologist last week advised I would qualify for it based on my medications but she didn’t know if I should stop my biologic or not as they are awaiting advised from BRS. x

rounder profile image
rounder in reply to allanah

The GP sent me a text 2 days after the letter identifying the severely immune suppressed status. They offered 4 walk in clinic dates, and followed up with a phone call from the GP receptionist confirming location and times. I was so impressed with the service. Xx

allanah profile image
allanah in reply to rounder

That is good service ! I'm just wondering about timing as my tcz is next week!

rounder profile image
rounder in reply to allanah

Been unable to contact my rheumatology team but read some reputable research from an American university suggesting that with abatacept it was helpful to miss one dose either side of the vaccine so that's my plan. Sadly I feel rather abandoned by rheumatology so I 'm trying to do my best to find out relevant information. I did chat it through with my son who is a doctor.....though a paediatric one so I am way too old for his speciality 😂😂.....and he thought it was a reasonable approach given that my RA is fairly well controlled at the moment.

Summerrain14 profile image
Summerrain14 in reply to rounder

I am so impressed with my GP surgery too with the speed they have sorted out my third Covid vaccine. I have been in touch with my rheumy nurses today and they have advised me to continue on all my meds including my Amgevita biologic but my RA is not stable at all and they are looking at possibly changing my biologic in the near future x

Not a dicky bird.

Same here nothing 😩

Nope and very much fall under the criteria 😭

I’m speaking with my rheumy next week about it.

Boris is making an announcement about who will receive a booster, amongst other issues, this afternoon.

Not a dicky bird here either! But, 2nd dose was early May so if its 6 months after that, I'm not due until early November. I was Cohort 4 CEV.

I’ve not heard anything either. Had my 2nd dose in March. My next rituximab is end of October too so getting a bit panicky

Moomin8 profile image
Moomin8 in reply to Mish-da

I'm the same

StormySeas profile image
StormySeas in reply to Moomin8

Mish-da and Moomin8, just had my RTX cancelled in order to have my third vaccine first...

Moomin8 profile image
Moomin8 in reply to StormySeas

Really?

Moomin8 profile image
Moomin8 in reply to StormySeas

I spoke to my clinical nurse this afternoon and she said that they don't get involved 😒

StormySeas profile image
StormySeas in reply to Moomin8

I emailed and asked if it made sense to delay RTX as my B cells had started to come back and it might be better to have a third vaccine whilst I still had some. The Rh dept had meanwhile just received the new advice from the B. Soc. Rheumatologists and they acted on it immediately and cancelled the RTX and issued a letter to the GP asking for an immediate vaccination.

My feelings are is that everyone is very much feeling their way, and this is new science. Nobody really knows what's for the best...

Mish-da profile image
Mish-da in reply to StormySeas

I expect I will get a call then but I really don’t want the RTX cancelled.. I don’t have any antibodies from the first 2 vaccines so not even sure the booster will work. Think I’ll ring the GP to see if I can get it before end of this month. So hard to know what to do for the best 😰

I've had a letter from Rheumatology, copied to my GP, stating I should have the 3rd shot (I'm on 25mg Methotrexate). Odd, as I was told to carry on as normal through the pandemic without shielding or any extra precautions other than those everyone was taking... 🤷🏼‍♀️

Boxerlady profile image
Boxerlady in reply to Dobcross1

I suspect that the criteria for the jab are clearer than that for CEV; the jab was recommended for anyone on more that 20mg Methotrexate.I'm on 20mg and haven't been offered a jab but I'm happy with that.

I was, however, told that I was CEV but I thought that it was overkill so I just behaved cautiously rather than shielding.

Ascidian profile image
Ascidian in reply to Dobcross1

I believe the third jab is about how the meds affected your vaccine response, whereas shielding was about how ill they thought covid might make you - so not quite the same thing

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to Ascidian

Yes,and not the booster programme either

Just read on BBC that 'it is to be expected that all over 50 s will be offered a third booster jab, after advice from the JCVI '.

Boris is due to hold a press conference at 4 this afternoon to outline their winter Covid plans.

Of course the booster jab programme is separate from the third vaccine for immunocompromised isn't it.

Not heard anything yet. I did ask at my routine rheumatology nurse appointment yesterday but she said that they hadn’t been advised of anything yet.

Not heard a thing yet but I’m not surprised given that I had to literally beg for my first two 🙄 Why does everything have to be a battle?There is so much confusion in the media between 3rd primary jabs for the immunosuppressed and the booster jabs that have been announced today. One is very much different to the other and I fear that we will be forgotten about now that they’re calling up kids and over 50’s etc.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to Funny-Bones

Yes, it makes you wonder. I have to keep explaining to family and friends the difference between the third vaccine for immunocompromised and the booster programme (now announced by Javid for over 50 year olds, so might get that before they get round to the 3rd vaccine!)

Funny-Bones profile image
Funny-Bones in reply to GinnyE

I’m the same with constantly explaining the difference to family and friends Ginny. It all gets a bit tiresome.Yes, I too shall probably get my over 50’s booster jab first! That’s all well and good because a jab is a jab at the end of the day but I think the immunosuppressed should have a 3rd primary jab with a booster to follow next year if I’m correct in my thinking.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to Funny-Bones

Yes, that’s my understanding too.

Just a bit more info. I did another anti body test this week. The first I did was in June. This recent test shows my antibodies have dropped more than half….

Funny-Bones profile image
Funny-Bones in reply to GinnyE

That’s concerning for you. Let’s hope we all hear something soon 🤞🏻

Third dose and got Covid a couple of weeks after. Guess it kept me out of the hospital. Everyone in my home tested negative. I have a critically low white blood count due to RA though.

Funny-Bones profile image
Funny-Bones in reply to Klc2ict

How unlucky for you. Thank goodness it did it’s job and kept you out of the hospital. I hope you’re feeling much better.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to Klc2ict

Glad you're ok. Looks like the third dose did the job.

I had a call this afternoon to go for my 3rd jab this evening. I’m on Methotrexate & Baracitinib and live in Gloucestershire. My surgery is quite efficient with appointments and vaccinations.

I'm in Kent. No invitations for either flu or 3rd covid jab yet. Am planning to go to Boots for the flu jab because I really don't want them at the same time. I had a bad flare that started the day after my 2nd covid vaccination and lasted for weeks, even with a massive reducing dose of prednisolone. I definitely want to have both jabs, but I just can't risk having them together. I've heard the 3rd covid jab is Pfizer for everyone and will be given at 6 months after the 2nd. My 2nd AstraZeneca was on 23rd March, so I expect to hear something very soon.

I'm in the North West & my GP Surgery rang yesterday to offer me the booster jab. Appointment made for Saturday. My h hasn't heard anything yet.

The flu jab appointment is less forthcoming… received a text a couple of weeks ago to say it will be delayed. My h rang the Surgery this morning to clarify this as his brother (who attends the same one) has been given his date appointment. They're calling over 65's first as they receive the Fluzone high dose vaccine, the group we're in should hear in the following fortnight. Last year they didn't call either of us to have it, even though we both qualify & have had it done by them each year. A reminder call by me resulted in being told there was none left so I arranged to have it done by our Pharmacist, & had it the following day.

I hope it's not long before you're contacted to have either/or Ginny.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to nomoreheels

🤞

Contacted Specialist Nurse this week twice. Despite telling her I was talking about the 3rd Primary Dose , she told me she was confused because "it's the same as the booster dose" and that I shouldn't contact them because they can't dictate who get these vaccines. Hope the Consultant in charge of my care, knows the difference. Biologic, Methotrexate and Prednisolne and several comorbidites

Klc2ict profile image
Klc2ict in reply to leycin

Third “booster” is just another Pfizer vax. I was confused but the pharmacy explained when I received.

I spoke to my GP yesterday. She’s insisting it’s part of the third booster, you remain in the same cohort as before and it’s six months after your 2nd vaccine. No sooner. So for me end of October. No advice as to stopping Abatacept and she said they’ve had no guidance from rheumy. No one seems to have a clue and there’s a huge difference in how areas are dealing with this.

GinnyE profile image
GinnyE in reply to RachelD1972

Same for me. My GP said she hadn’t time to read the JCVI advice re immunosuppressed even though I offered to give her a print out! Part of me wants to write to the practice enclosing BRS advice etc and ask why they are refusing to follow it. But I’m scared of alienating them. She sounded very edgy and said they were doing as much as they could and they hadn’t any vaccine at the moment. The responses people have made to my post show how variable the help is. I think I’ll have to wait for the booster but it’s left a bitter taste.

RachelD1972 profile image
RachelD1972 in reply to GinnyE

I know. I’ve worked out I have about 5 weeks to wait. She said they only know a week in advance what vaccine delivery they will get and i got the feeling they don’t know how to record our vaccine and it’s easier to log it as the booster with everyone else. It doesn’t make it easier if we’re trying to gauge what to do with our meds. I’m lucky to be fairly well controlled at the moment so willing to take my chances with skipping my Abatacept for a couple of weeks if need be x

You may also like...