NRAS
23,791 members β€’ 27,630 posts

Rituximab and ibd

Hi I have had RA for 17 years and mostly controlled with drugs, has anybody had any problems after rituximab with bowel problems?? I have had 4 rounds of the drug but now developed inflammatory bowel disease and wondered if there could be a link???

Thanks 😊😊

20 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

I have only had two rounds of rituximab and not had such problems so far. I did expect a better result from this drug as I still get a fair bit of inflammation in my hands. I think any drug can cause changes in your bodily functions and I guess its pot luck who gets side effects with various drugs. So this could have caused this but I am not sure if they can specifically say it is caused by the drug. We are at the mercy of all these drugs and I am not surprised that symptoms such as yours can occur. X

2 likes

I agree it's weighing up what the best option is x

1 like

I too have had two rounds ...4 infusions ..of RTX, & also find my hands are still showing inflammation & are quite painful. But the rest of my joints that are usually affected...elbows & shoulders are less troublesome.

My Rheumy seems happy with this & says if my hands & wrists are still causing me pain next month he will give me a Depo injection.

I too thought ...maybe naively - the Rtx would either work or not. I didn't realise it could 'sort of' work!

3 likes

Yes exactly! But I will continue with the infusions as any pain relief is better than none. What is a depo injection? I am having some steroid injections into fingers which are just so stiff and clicking. My wrists hurt too. Hands are pretty useful appendages! X

2 likes

Depo is short for Depomedrone. I have it in my thigh & it calms all my aches & pains. It usually works straight away & can last up to 10/12 weeks.

I find injections straight into a joint are excruciating & mostly don't work.

I just re-read my post...I can't count(!) I have had 6 infusions....the last 2 in April & I may be imagining it but I was slowly getting pains a week or two before & these last two don't seem to had much effect. It really is swings & roundabouts isn't it?

2 likes

I will ask my rheumy about that depo. Not heard of it. Yes I fear the effects could wear off but there are other bios that we can try if ritux stops working. A constant battle and never know what's going to work and for how long. I guess we are lucky with the drugs on offer as they are mostly relatively new. I often think of people in the past and how they must have suffered. Not even steroids then.

I've had lots of depo injections and they def help πŸ™‚

Thanks. I shall definitely look into that. X

Oh so depo has prednisolone which is a steroid. I take that in tablet form. May be a difference I think.

No it's NOT Prednisolone there are different types of steroid & I can't remember which is which, but it's definitely not Prednisolone as I can't take that

OK. I will ask at next appointment.

I agree I think 50 years ago I would have been crippled by now.

But after 18 years of R A I want to stamp my little foot & say "OK you've had your way with all these Dmards, analgesics & now Biologics...when am I going to get the good stuff that works"?

But then patience never was my strong point!

1 like

Is there any 'good stuff'?

Probably not! But I'm into instant gratification...& all this waiting for X weeks then finding the drug hasn't worked then being told..."Don't worry there are plenty more you can try" was wearing a bit thin after 18 years.

I'm still waiting for the "second shoe to drop" with Rtx!

1 like

I agree totally. Our lives are slipping by and waiting for this or that to work is not impressing me at all.

I honestly don't know but I was diagnosed with IBD years ago. It has long since settled...but my rheumy knew this & he still prescribed RTX.

I have had 4 RTX infusions & no bowel problems at all.

Have you spoken to your rheumy nurses?

They are usually aware of any reports of IBD when on .Rtx.

Hope it settles down soon Debsy!

2 likes

I am due to see them shortly so will mention it thanks

Thanks for replies peeps 😊😊

I've had 3 round of rituximab and RA systems feel better, although I have had bowel problems for some years now. I've been through lots of DMARDS and biologics so not sure what has caused my problem. Started doing a liver detox every 6 months which has helped a lot with the excruciating pain I had every month. Also reduced certain food items which I thought might be the triggers (I had given up coffee many years ago, but started again recently), stopped eating bread, potatoes and reduced meat intake. I've had 2 fibroscopies which showed nothing and am due for a colonoscopy next week. Will let you know if anything is found with this. Take care. xo

2 likes

Thank you and good luck next week xx

You may also like...