'Behind the Smile' - RA Awareness Week 2017

We just wanted to let you know that further to a recent poll on about themes for RA Awareness Week 2017, we took your responses (over 290!) into consideration and decided on a theme! - 'Behind the Smile'. The theme will focus on the invisible effects of rheumatoid arthritis, especially fatigue, anxiety and depression.

A part of our inspiration also comes from a recent campaign, wherein we created a film in collaboration with Lilly UK to highlight what goes on behind the smile for someone with RA. Take a look:

Last edited by

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Think that's a great title which reflects my everyday , x

• Thanks @Allanah, we think so too :) Do take a look at the video!

• Over the years this has Been my mantra, when asked, except to very close family and friends, but even then I known for not making a fuss. When it comes to my rheumatologist Gp etc, I make sure they know how I feel and how I expect them to help me improve my life. It mostly works.!

• I think that sums it up really well on the video. Very emotional.

• That could've been me in that video! So true.

• This is how I feel😕

• You look at me and i don't look at a lady who has ra and other diseases. A nurse told me when i was having my infusion that my diseases does not define me because of my attitude to the disease is i won't let it beat me.xx

• That's a great filmette. I think many of us can relate to Jane - I certainly can.

• Good work

• I couldn't agree more with this film. It really does explain how people like us feel. Will it be broadcast to the nation which is something that needs to happen more often, for people with RA to be shown how it really does affect them. However, unless we all walk about with a label that says, "I have got RA" we do try a hide the facts. Well done NRAS!

• That's really good wish I could do my old life but as time goes by it takes more and more of the old me and people can see you are not fine

• Bought tears to my eyes. Well done NRAS - captured it nicely with a great production and actors.

• Shame they picked an actress in full makeup, how did she manage that with RA?

• That video is brilliant - describes my life exactly!

• That video is brilliant - it describes my life exactly! Thank you.

• What a brilliant film. Short and to the point. I was lucky that I felt I could be completely honest and open to the people who helped me through the first year of RD before I was able to take control myself. Knowing that you can be open and the professionals listen, understand, take note and care is a great benefit.

• It sums up life with RA , I do this every day as I'm sure you all do.

But I'm now thinking I should say ya know I feel awful today and I'm going to rest up. As i just keep going n not stopping to take a breath and therefore peolpe think I am OK when actually I'm not at all

But then again a bit scared to slow down as don't want this illness to rule my life. if only peolpe really knew how we all feel.

So I thought the video said it all

Denise xx

• Know exactly what you mean Denise. I tend to battle on too even though I feel terrible.

• As has been said before, that was/is me. It depends on who is asking me as to how I respond. I find that of late when I say how I really am it ends in tears ( my gp, my nurse and consultant) after admitting how I really feel, I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. If we don't tell people how we really feel they can't help us. Brilliant video, made me very emotional

• It's great, not just for RA but all invisible illnesses. Thank you NRAS. 🙂

• The hidden part of this condition is ghastly. Thank you for this.

• This made me cry - it could be me in this advert

• That is a fantastic way to describe how a RA person is I can relate to that video

You may also like...