Does anyones get crops of mouth uclers ?

Hi all, I have been on meds for 4 weeks now , had usual side effects as prewarned , nausea, dizziness and indigestion chronic sometimes , but this last week ive had a mouth full of uclers quite big and painful!!!! So much so that I'm reluctant to eat anything because it hurts to do so . Does anyone else suffer or is it just me ? Lol x

Last edited by

5 Replies

• Yes unfortunately it seems to be one of the side effects of your immune system lowering. You can use bonjela etc to calm them and mine disappeared after a few weeks. Otherwise you should discuss it with your Rheumy nurse.

Horrid though aren't they xxx

• Hi traceby,

Sorry to hear you have mouth ulcers, they sound so painful.

Which medications are you taking? The information leaflet on Methotrexate, does list mouth ulcers as a possible side effect.

Have a word with your rheumatology team, GP or local pharmacist to see what they suggest would be best treatment for them.

Hoping they clear up soon,

Best wishes

• Thanks for your replys , im on meloxicam 15mg daily and omeprazole and tramadol for the pain .I also have a water infection that will not budge and after two lots of antibiotics im miserable to say the least . Xx

• I'm a bit surprised that you are still taking mtx if you have an infection, I have been told to stop it until clear of any infections, especially when given antibiotics. Might be worth contacting your nurse.

As far as mouth ulcers are concerned, I regularly get them, I've been on mtx for about 5 yrs. Difflam mouth wash can help, and folic acid can be increased

Hope you feel better soon. M x

• Hi there sorry to read about your mouth ulcers, what I do is mix 2-3 drops teatree oil in 1/4 cup water and swish it around in my mouth before going to bed, after cleaning teeth. wishing you well.

You may also like...