Happy New Year!

Hi. I haven't posted on here for a while but do read other posts. Just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year. I'm 37 and have had RA for nearly 2 years now. Tried various medication, now on Mtx injections and Enbrel, finally there is light at the end of the tunnel. I still haven't got the courage to inject myself I find the Enbrel very painful when injecting, has anyone else had similar problems with Enbrel?

Though still have my bad days I am managing much better lets hope 2014 will be a better year for us all.

10 Replies

• Hello, my nurse took me through injecting into upper thigh which was very painful, I decided to inject into stomach and that's much better, If I aim at near to 90 degrees as possible then I find it can be pain free. I don,t use the antiseptic wipes

anymore which stops the stinging.

I have been on enbrel for over 2 years now and within months my ra was completely under control :) I was on mxt but came off that last year due to infections and have never felt better. Hope you get same results to!

Keep us updated :)

• I agree with Wiliby, it's less painful in the stomach, but how great you got biologics! What about your partner or a friend injecting you if you find it hard?

• My DAS score was over 5.3 twice. I had side effects with the other meds (hydroxy and sulpha). So I guess I fulfilled the criteria. x

• Poor you, defo sounds like you do! I hope they work quickly for you xx

• thanks. Me too x

• Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DAS? I have painful RA and PMR at the moment. Anne

• Hey. DAS stands for disease activity score. It is a measurement of RA activity. Your RA nurse should examine your joints and check your ESR in your appointments and calculate a DAS score for you. You will be able to get more info from NRAS. Hope this helps a little x

• Thanks for that. I am due to see the rheumy soon, I will ask them to calculate mine. Healthy New Year! Anne

• Hi there

I also inject into my stomach. As I find it easier.

Sometimes there is some pain but others I can't feel a thing.

I also no longer use the wipes.

Try different recommended areas and see which is best for you.

• Thanks guys. I inject the Mtx in my stomach and Enbrel in the thigh, may be I should swap these around. I get my husband to inject for me as I haven't been able to yet, too much of a coward. I no longer use the wipes either as hell this stings!

Still feel totally drained after the Mtx though.

You may also like...