Hand getting stuck?

Hi, does anyone else on here suffer with their fingers getting stuck in a clenched hand? I've had it for a few years , it used to last a day or two but now I get it almost once a week - although it only lasts 12 or so hours now, but it's really painful and I can't use my hand at all.. It's usually when I try to eat a big meal with a knife and fork. I've mentioned it to the RA nurse and she has injected my hand, but by the time I can get to see her it's usually released . I've searched the Internet but I cant find it - it sounds a bit like trigger finger but I'm not sure- any ideas???

6 Replies

• you are not alone!

I spent weeks with clenched fists, I could only use my thumb and index finger.

• I dont get fingers stuck for long but it takes me a while to straighten them out, I do have one finger which sticks if i make a clenched fist then shoots out when it reaches a certain point, think this is a trigger finger and an ultrasound on my hands showed thickening of the tendon to that finger which is probably what has caused this

• Have you been given some hand exercises to do? I have found exercising hands, fingers and wrists can help. Or kneading bread dough.

An Occupational Therapist has helped me enormously too, with splinting, wax bath treatments, etc.

• I would love to have an ultrasound of my hands to find out what's going on - x-rays showed up no erosion at least. Mine don't fully clench unless I've exercised them a lot - and if I sleep with my hands half clenched I can't open them for a minute or two on waking. But mostly it's the other way round and I can't bend the fingers properly for about 30 minutes or more - better if I run them under hot water but always stiff nowadays.

My knuckles are always puffy and pink when i wake up in the morning and 2 of my knuckles are always noticeably swollen and my pinky on my right hand sticks right out and has turned away from the rest of my hand. I don't know what is caused by OA and what is down to RA but my hands are never normal now. I can at least use them though - yours sounds worse and a like trigger finger but for all the fingers? I think Phoebe is right about physio exercises and OT aids - they have both helped me to to a large extent as for a while I couldn't bend my hands at all.

• Hi

I am currently under treatment with OT and physio for what sounds a similar problem although only one finger. As I work in an office and use a computer a lot it was becoming quite bothersome.

The OT has made a moulded splint to my hand shape which also incorporates the offending finger, and I have ultra sound phsio twice a week.

In my area we are able to bybass going to the GP once an inflammatroy arthritis diagnosis has been made, to get the referall - instead I am able to contact the department directly and although its still impossible to get an instant appointment I'm sure its quicker than the referal route.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

• Hi, I think it might be two fingers, two next to my thumb, it's happened again tonight and is just getting more and more regular, without Anything setting it off. Think I need to push for a splint or physio or something!! Thanks for your responses folks :-)))

You may also like...