Aggressive Follicular Lymphoma Now In NIH CAR-T Clinical Trial

Aggressive Follicular Lymphoma Now In NIH CAR-T Clinical Trial

In 2011 my 64 year old (at that time) wife was diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. She relapsed within 4 months of R-CHOP (6 cycles) and within 2 months of bendamustine/rituximab/velcade (6 cycles). This is when her oncologist said she had an aggressive form of follicular lymphoma. Next she was in a Phase 2 Ibrutinib clinical trial that lasted 12 months followed by 14 months of Idelalisib/rituximab. After she progressed for the fourth time,in early 2016 she was accepted into an NIH CAR-T trial and was infused on March 2 (her new birthday). She is now in complete remission.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello.

I don't understand the terminology used here but it sounds like your wife has been through a very difficult time.Indeed for both of you.

It's good to hear that she is now in remission What a relief for the two,of you and hopefully you can make up,for all,that lost time.

Enjoy yourselves.

Take care stay well.

Crusee

XX

• Lovely picture and wonderful news! My NHL has transformed now after 7 years of all kinds of treatment, including stem cell transplant, into aggressive B cell so we are exploring clinical trials at Southampton.

may you both continue to live well and cherish every day.

• That's lovely news

• Hi wmay13241, so glad you could be a part of our community! That's wonderful to hear your wife is in complete remission :)

• Way to fight! No quit in a warrior! You are Blessed!

• Here is some good news we learned from Dr. Steven Schuster (one of the gurus in CAR-T) during today's Lymphoma Research Foundation "Advances in Immunotherapy in the Treatment of Lymphoma" teleconference Q&A on November 17. Results from his UPENN Abramson Comprehensive Cancer Center follicular lymphoma CAR-T clinical trial showed:

* Of his 14 follicular lymphoma patients 10 (72%) achieved a complete remission.

* No patient achieving a CAR-T complete remission has relapsed.

* The average time in complete remission today stands at about 2 years.

* If your complete remission is 2 years or greater you have the same survival odds as someone who never had follicular lymphoma.

* After 1 year about 50% of his follicular lymphoma CAR-T patients no longer need IVIG infusions.