Is it possible to stay at CKD stage 3 or wi... - Kidney Disease

Kidney Disease
2,410 members1,106 posts

Is it possible to stay at CKD stage 3 or will my kidneys keep getting worse?

I recently discovered I have stage 3 ckd, GFR 56. I’ve since made major changes to my diet while I wait to meet with a dietitian this week. My goal is to try a plant based diet. My kidneys were damaged by the use of NSAID’s because of injuries received while on deployment. I’m 60 years old, 145 lbs, fairly active in spite of my injuries and other problems. Can someone give me some good news or is it all doom and gloom from here? I’ve been feeling pretty down since I discovered this. I’ve hit a lot of speed bumps in the highway of life but this is one of the biggest so far.

15 Replies
oldestnewest

HI Pappy,

The good news is you are doing the best things for your health. And yes, it is very possible to slow down the decline of your kidneys with all the modifications you are doing. I would like to say emphatically that you can stop the progression, but then there is no guarantee. But as others will respond, living with CKD is just that...living. I was at stage 3 for over nine years and I was not even aware of it. I was diagnosed last year at stage 4 and have been able to maintain and improve my labs with diet which is mostly plant based. I too took NSAIDs and other poorly prescribed drugs that increased my CKD issues.

We all understand that hearing the diagnosis of CKD is unnerving. But it is also the best thing to be aware at the stage you are in. Work with the dietician and keep healthy and you will see that this speed bump is actually a gift of chance to hold on to your health.

This is a link to a peer group for kidney disease education. It is free and a great service to set each patient with a phone mentor. kidney.org/patients/peers

Thank you for your service. By getting educated on CKD you will continue to be a warrior.

kidney.org/kidneydisease

4 likes

Thank you for your reply and words of encouragement. My doctor never said anything to me except to stop taking Naproxen because it was affecting my kidneys. I feel like the VA doctors did me a great disservice by not discussing this with me. I discovered it by checking my labs. When I asked my PCP for a referral to a nephrologist he asked why. I pointed out my lab numbers and he responded that my kidneys are in excellent health. I have to wonder if that’s the same advice he would give to one of his loved ones.

3 likes

Hi Pappy,

I was just having a similar discussion this with a friend. I was at 3b for a very long time and the doctors were still PRESCRIBING Advil for my pain. The lack of doing anything medically by doctors is common because there is often nothing they can do for stages 1 -3, unless there is a underlying condition such as blood pressure and diabetes and then they focus on those. In most cases, early CKD is not symptomatic so it often goes undetected or treated.

If you have any questions about diet, we have a lot of people here who are doing plant based and modified diets and we love to share!

1 like

I’ve reading a lot about plant based diets and the health benefits for CKD patients. At first I was skeptical but after reading a couple of medical studies I’m sold on the idea. My wife isn’t very supportive of my diet changes so far. She doesn’t understand why I have to restrict certain foods. Most of the time I prepare my own meals but when she cooks she puts things together without asking about what I can and can’t eat.

Pappy could you share the references to the “medical Studies” you refer to. I have advocated for moderation in all aspects of kidney care but am always open to studying medical literature findings. Thanks in advance.

The National Kidney Foundation at kidney.org/atoz/content/pla... has a full page dedicated to the benefits of plant based diets for kidney patents with several links at the bottom of the page and info on how to get started.

Another study I read was posted by Medscape and endorsed my numerous doctors. Medscape has had their reputation tarnished in recent years by publishing some studies that turned out to be untrue. I'm unable to find links to any other studies I read.

medscape.com/viewarticle/89...

1 like

I am waiting to see Published medical literature. I still think that every person is so different and that moderation is best for me.

Here's a link to a number of studies related to CKD and diet. I haven't had a chance to sort through them and read any yet but a couple caught my eye. I'll be going back to read them when I find the time.

jrnjournal.org/action/doSea...

Same way I found out. I am Stage 3a with GFR of 55. UK GPs do treat Stage 3 in house - never had any referrals. I stopped putting salt on my food, know I should stop eating salty food as well and mostly do, and am not a meat-eater except occasional chicken and fish. I had the worry too, and the more I read about what I was not supposed to eat, the worse I became, but I have been in the GFR 50s in all the 10 years I have had CKD so I am going to see what the next annual blood test shows from these measures.

1 like

While it's a shock at first, stage 3 is manageable by the diet you are doing, especially if you follow the rules about amount of protein, sodium, potassium, etc. You might not even need dialysis. My nephrologist believes the US has way too many patients on dialysis compared to other industrialized nations, mostly for corporate profits. I'm doing the same as you, similar causes, mainly ADVIL, and I've improved all my numbers.

Best to you and keep your positive thoughts.

1 like

Pappy, I understand your concern. I asked essentially the same thing back in January, when I received my worst readings ever - gfr 38 creat 1.86. I'm also in your age group, turning 58 in 3 weeks and though born with only one functioning kidney, still very active. Since January, I educated myself on sodium levels in food, I limited myself to 2000 mg/day, reduced my red meat and potassium. All of this helped my lose 12 lbs as well.

Now 3 months later, my new blood work results were even better than I hoped - gfr > 60, creat 1.21. So I am hopeful that my January results was an anomaly due to my not realizing how much salt I was consuming.

2 likes

Wow! Awesome work! Good for you. Keep up the good work and live long and well.

Dear Pappy,

I am the wife of a CKD Patient. My husband was diagnosed last year with stage 3 CKD with eGFR 35 due to hypertension and taking pain reliever drugs. He is in his 40's. The good news is that kidney function is reversible as long as you do the right thing especially watching your food intakes. Once we became aware of his health condition, I started researching the best foods that can help boost his kidneys, and other activities that can help. My husband sought the help of a certified homeopathic doctor. What the doctor did is the colon cleansing of my husband for the purpose of absorbing well the nutrients from the food he takes. Then the diet played a very important role. The vegetables and fruits that I usually gave him are cabbage, cauliflower, green leafy vegetables, bell pepper, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, apples, garlic, fish instead of meat, red/purple grapes. I cook his meal on a very low sodium and if possible stir fried in olive oil. I usually gave him fruits and veggies just like the strawberries, blueberries, cucumber and apple fresh from the blender. In less than 5 months, his kidney function went up from 35 to 53. His creatinine went down to almost normal. This was just a testimony that it is possible to improve one's health if we are willing to give up on unhealthy lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits. Once a person is diagnosed with stage 3 CKD, you should never eat red meats. It is safer to obtain protein from fish and the egg white, do not eat the eggyolk, and skinless chicken breast. The alternative source of protein like fish should be eaten 2-3x a week only. As long as you continue with your healthy diet, exercise suited for your age, obtaining vit. D from morning sunlight, a positive attitude and a prayer will keep you going through your battle. Hope this information helps you. God bless you.

Best regards,

Christian love

6 likes

That's really awesome news about your husband. I hope he continues improving. I'm trying to make the transition slowly. It's a huge lifestyle change for me and my wife isn't taking it very well. I'm a chef by trade and we love to eat. I went to school at the Culinary Institute of America. I love life more than I love food though.

1 like

Hi Peppy58,

I don't think u will end up with dialysis

For u r age the GFR is very Gud

Even in worst case it will take 15 years for u to reach dialysis state

You may also like...