Kidney Disease
2,326 members1,069 posts

CKD Stage 2 and Keto Diet?

Hi, this is my first post. I was told that I had Stage 3 CKD a couple years ago and it was from all the NDAIDS I was prescribed for my chronic pain from work injuries. I have been able to bring my numbers up to Stage 2 now with medication and diet changes but want to lose about 60 lbs and so does anyone know if the new Keto diet would be safe for people with CKD?

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi and Welcome Mskatzgo,

I went looking and there is a ton of garbage out there on the Intranet about the Keto diet. I had a hard time finding evidence based journal articles. There is a lot of misinformation in order to sell you products. Be careful

So this is my advice and opinion. I would not try any drastic diet, such as a keto diet until you have consulted with a renal dietician. I found conflicting information on the bases of the diet. Some said it is high fat, low carb but high protein. It is hard on the kidneys to process protein and can further strain your kidneys.

The bottom line is this: go see a renal dietician who can map out a healthy diet for you with the understanding of your specific medical needs. Will you lose weight on a renal diet? You absolutely can. I have lost 35 pounds in 9 months. Slow and easy is always best for losing weight and keeping it off. After seeing my renal dietician, I also changed my eating lifestyle to something I can manage for life.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

perfectketo.com/ketosis-kid...

webmd.com/diet/guide/high-p...

5 likes

Thank you for finding good information for me. I will check it out and talk to my Nephrologist too. I will post later if there is any new info.

1 like

The thing that bothers me the most about keto is the high fat content. Cholesterol is a danger. My Aunt had to have renal artery bypasses - you don't hear about those much but they do happen.

1 like

Hi Zencat,

There is a link to complications of cardiac issues already with CKD. I agree a diet high in fat is not healthy for anyone. In my opinion, fad diets are just that....a fad. The thing about high fat diets is that fat are calorie bombs. But they are also the food group that tasted the best. So it is easier to stay on a diet like that because the taste and calories are satisfying..... but not good for you. Diet it another word for deprivation. Most people when "on a diet" are restricting something whether its calories or a food group. Drastic changes are not often sustainable and the repercussion is rebound weight and frustration. Lifestyle changes and healthy eating is the best solution for everyone. Our society is so wrapped up in image that we do not consider the individual.

3 likes

Consult your Doctor on weight loss and diet. He / she should know and advise. You need to speak with a professional clinical Nurtionlist. My Doctor told me flatly “drink water” I was chronically dehydrated and taking creatine and protein supplements.

Don’t “diet”, change your lifestyle and habits. It’s hard but you can do this! Your new way of eating is the rest of your life, not just for a short period of time.

Based on what little knowledge I possess I wouldn’t recommend that diet...for anyone.

Keto is the newest spin on the Adkins diet. It’s the current fad. Too much fat and protein. I did Adkins for several years and lost weight when I was younger. You need water, vegetables, vegetable based protein, low sugar, low salt and low phosphorus. And some type of exercise, high impact not required. Walking low impact , Yoga, bike riding and or some movement.

I had an AKI caused by short duration use of NSAIDs. I’m in “stage 2” now which was a total surprise to me. I had no idea what these stages were. I’ve had to learn a bunch fast! I spent a lot of time with a clinical Nurtionlist to beat this animal and understand more clearly how to combat this situation. I have lost 37 pounds in 4 months, stopped drinking, stopped drinking large quantities of coffee, stopped cigars, cut all beef and pork from diet. In addition all bad fats are out of my diet (the only fat I eat is Extra Virgin olive oil) and I run four miles every other day. I went to the extreme. I’m trying to get way ahead of this and hedge my bets.

You can do this!!’ Keto is not the way and it could damage you worse. Eat clean! Vegetables, fruit, nuts, lots of water and very limited protein and fat. Start yoga and meditation, begin walking daily if possible. Dedicate yourself and you can do this!

P.S. if you are in stage 2 now you are in the normal range and your kidney function is healthy. Don’t endanger that with a fad diet or supplements.

I wish you only the best and excellent health. God bless!

1 like

Thank you for your insights. I physically can’t do much due to permanent injuries but since I love vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains, I’ll just continue to stick with those.

1 like

Keep the faith and stay positive. Again you’re doing well and healthy. Please try mediation any type of activity is good. If nothing else get outside on a sunny day and enjoy 😊. Please be sure to discuss diet with your Doctor and a Nurtionlist. I’m not an exper or a Doctor nor do I understand others plight In-depth. I wish you the best of all things, stay sunny and bright.

I concur with Monte. My doctor said no “diets”. Drink lots of water, I had to quit all caffeine from BP, Low Sodium , No NSAIDs, eat balanced, low processedfood diet to lose weight slowly and moderate exercise.I have slight diminished capacity with no kidney damage from aging and probably from being functionally dehydrated all the time. I am almost 53.

1 like

Contact and follow “DietitianCDE” as well here for more info

Hi Mskatzgo please see this video "Is CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) Reversible with Diet?"

on Utube for Dr.kanDberry MD. He talks about how to reverse your ckd with Keto diet.

Good luck

Thanks for the info

You may also like...