Coconut cannellini beans

Coconut cannellini beans

Restraints on time and finances can often lead us to make poorer choices where our food intake is concerned, this has often been the case for myself. I know that when I put my mind to it though, I can come up with really tasty and low cost meals that are also quick to prepare. This Coconut Cannellini Beans recipe is low cost, filling, healthy and low calorie.

Soften 1 large chopped onion, 2 grated fat garlic cloves and 1 small sliced green pepper in 1 tsp of oil in a lidded pan over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 good tsp of turmeric and 1/2tsp of ground coriander, up the heat to medium and cook out for a minute, then add 1 400g can chopped tomatoes, stir and cover with the lid, cook for 5 minutes. Add 1 165g can coconut milk and a good pinch salt, stir, then add 1 400g can drained cannellini beans, cover with lid and lower heat again.. Cook for about 8 minutes.. Serve on its own or with rice, etc..

The whole pan contains 547kcals and Β£1.50, so if you split it into 3 portions it is 183kcals and 50p, or split into 2 portions is 274kcals and 75p per portion.

I usually have 1/3 with 115g cooked basmati rice, which will be 355kcals and is a big helping.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

HealthUnlocked User Stories

Did you lose weight with help from this community? Do you want to tell your story?

Share your story

Featured by HealthUnlocked

16 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • That sounds lovely, tasty, healthy and economical 😊 Thank you for sharing ShellieL

• Yum yum, Shellie, thanks so much for sharing! :)

Don't forget to file your thread in the Recipes/Meals/Snacks Topic and, if you have the time, maybe you could do the same with all the recipes you've posted in the past :)

• Not sure how to go about filing the recipes hun, i'm a bit of a technophobe 😳 I will have a go though.

• Click on the v, next to follow post, under your header.

Click on edit.

Click on Add Topic and choose Recipes/Meals/Snacks

I'm sure you'll manage it, Shellie and thank you so much! :)

• Done, though I nearly edited myself off the site, lol. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Oh LOL!!! Thanks goodness you didn't! We'd have been heartbroken!! :)

• That sounds very tasty, thanks for sharing your recipe, always good to have something new to cook, otherwise boredom sets in doesn't it.

• Totally agree, though sometimes my family wish I would just stick to some tried and tested recipes instead of constantly using them as guinea pigs, lol. This recipe is a tried and tested by the way 😊

• What a great idea! Looks tasty! :-)

• Thankyou 😊

• That sounds nicely different and very tasty. Thank you for sharing.

• Hi ShellieL it looks scripummy... do you join in the daily diary? We'd love to know more of your daily menus.. tried and tested or guinea pig stage!!

• I don't always have the time to log on here, so haven't contributed to the daily diary. 😊

• What a shame... Please keep popping in and feel free to add any recipes for all to see πŸ‘€ Daily diary is on everyday, but you are free to do as few or as many as you'd like..

Hope you're doing and keeping well.

Cheering you on πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

• This is so my kind of dinner! Will try! Most coconut milk tins have about 700 cals, are you using a very light one to get such low calories?

• No special one hun, I buy them from the local asian store and just check the calorie content on the back per 100mls.. I had 3 different cans in the cupboard, all with around 100kcals for the 165ml.. I have found the coconut milk not too bad, the cans of coconut cream on the other hand do seem to be astronomical for calories. 😊

You may also like...