Newbie trying to get back on the bandwagon

Hi everyone, I've been a member here a while but have never joined in until now. I hit my lowest and heaviest point last year, 103kg. I swore at that point I would never weigh that much again. I did the nhs bmi and calorie calculator and used my fitness pal to count calories, and things were going great. On February 26th I was down to 94kg.

Then I did the best thing for my health but maybe an awful thing for my weight... I quit smoking on February 28th. I was so stressed out with quitting and other things going on that I decided to be a bit easier on myself for a while, and stopped counting calories. I really tried not to replace cigarettes with food, but i suppose i must have to some extent, as since then my weight has steadily started going back up. 2 months down the line I am back up to 98kg! I really don't want to let this trend continue, and now my emotions are mostly back to normal after quitting smoking, I feel I'm ready to get back on the weightloss wagon. I would like to start being more active here for the support and accountability. I would like to join a Sunday weigh in if possible as that's when I weigh myself anyway.

So that's my story, hopefully I'll turn it around, and in 6 months time I'll be back on track and be a slimmer healthier non-smoker!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome, Buttonbug :)

I know you're not technically a newbie, but as you've only just come out of hiding, I'm going to give you all the newbie info and a newbie badge, so that you have a starting point :)

Congratulations on quitting the cigs! That's a terrific achievement and I'm sure you'll be just as successful with your weight loss campaign :)

Take a look at the Pinned posts section to the right of your screen (bottom if you're using a mobile), read the Welcome Newbie thread, then move through to the challenges, where we hope you'll find at least one that will appeal to you.

Move down to the Topics, to find a variety of threads, collated into specific topics for ease of access and we ask that you also 'file' your own threads, so that others won't miss your important news.

Take a look at the NHS 12 week plan, as a lot of people have been successful with it, making sure to enter your details into the BMI calculator, to get a calorie allowance tailored to your personal requirements. Don't forget to take your starting measurements and a 'before' picture, as they can be very motivating on days that the scales refuse to co-operate.

You will be very welcome to join the Sunday weigh-in and the link to the thread can always be found in the Events section, to the right of the HOME page, bottom on a mobile.

Be aware, that the HU app doesn't give you access to all of our important features, so we advise that you use the full website page.

We've found that to get the best out of this community, we need to be active on the forum, as it's where we exchange information, get motivation and inspiration and make friends. We hope that you'll join us here, regularly, too.

It's only left for me to wish you well on your journey :)

• Thanks moreless ☺ I feel much more positive already!

• That's brilliant! :)

• Hi,

Welcome back and good that you are Re-starting or Re-booting.

Dieting and Counting calories is definitely required but many a times it can be like fighting a losing battle.

I can suggest you a wonderful tool. This can help you to get rid of the need to diet at all. Its very powerful but simple.

Its called mindful Eating. If you practice this for one month, I can assure you that it can bring miraculous results in your life.

Try it. I am following it. It works wonders.

zenhabits.net/what-is-mindf...

All the best ! :)

• You would be welcome on today's weigh in.

Here is the link.

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Hi Buttonbug Congratulations on giving up the smokes, I gave up some years ago and developed a very sweet tooth put on 3 stone, so well done on catching and stopping the bad path so quickly.

Being active on here and being accountable will definitely help. I'm sure you will achieve your goals, you have proven you can do it. Good luck xx

• Hi Buttonbug, you've got a lot to be proud of, like Katmt I also know what it's like to give up smokes, not easy, you've done it AND you already know you can kick 20 lbs into touch, good luck and looking forward to hearing about your next success story.

• Thanks so much for the support and kind words 😊

You may also like...