Maintenance and Holidays

Maintenance and Holidays

I've just come home from a wonderful birthday cruise, 16 days eating and drinking!!.

Several of you know that I reached my target weight in 2015 and have since stayed within 0-4 lbs of that.. Like all "losers" we have learnt deep down about healthy choices, but we worry that once we eat normally again we will put all the weight back on. It doesn't have to be like that, but maintenance still takes time and effort, in my case I added a hundred calories each week until I found the level to maintain at. At my age ,64, that's not many calories, so when at home I keep to around 1500 a day on average.... on holidays it can be much more of course.

So back to the cruise, the menu choices were vast and lots of plainer dishes like grilled fish, chicken, steak or with sauces on the side so you can control it. I did indulge in desserts most nights but portions were favourably tiny. The most excess came from the G&Ts and wine EVERY EVENING... and exercise was limited to a walk /potter ashore, nothing strenuous due to temperatures in mid 30s.

I weighed myself on return and am pleased to find I've only gained 2 pounds, putting me at 9st 13 , still just within my range.

I hope this reassures others who are worried about the prospect of maintenance. After about a year, it is possible to let go a bit here and there , without too much damage ๐Ÿ˜Š.

Reply Like (1)

28 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • :-) thank you - gives me hope - if I ever get there....

Super well done - I know food and drink on tap is a challenge:-)

• Thank you, you will get there too. It took me a year to lose and a year to maintain, and having reduced my BP and totally replaced my wardrobe in that time, Im not going to ruin things nowโ˜บ

• Thank you, your post is very encouraging. I am within a few lbs of my target and have been wondering if I was going to be able to maintain without the discipline of weighing everything and counting every calorie for the rest of my life!

• Im afraid I do still count calories roughly , as many of my regular foods are logged in my head now! I still look at labels in the supermarket and if I try a new recipe I record the calorie count...but not obsessively ( she says !!!)

• You look lovely and that bed linen looks like it was ironed on the bed lol!

So glad you had a fab time and a holiday full of memories to gain only 2lb is amazing with that sort of temptation around you.

Best wishes bet you are now planning your next little trip. Best wishes Bevโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

• Thanks Bev, yes the bedlinen was super smooth and changed every two days, a real treat!

• Great photo, loving the balloons! You look really well and happy, and of course, very slim! Pleased you had such a fabulous holiday, very well done on being sensible with food choices and only gain 2 lbs that's brilliant. Thanks for the encouragement regarding maintaining too, as I know a lot of us are worried about that!

• Thanks Caz, Im not suggesting its easy to maintain, but I think its always going to be about attitude ...same as it is at the start of a weight loss journey. You have to want it enough to make it work and not fall totally off the wagon after a week or two of indulgence.

• well said!

• Well done Ellie Beth lovely photoโ˜บ

• Thanks trulyplumptious ...I look forward to seeing your name change soon to Truly Scrumptious ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Oh thanks very kind Elliebath. ๐Ÿ˜‰Just stuck for the last 2 weeks slightly frustrating as I am being physically a lot more active.โ˜บ

• Don't despair, it happened to me many times, a loss one week then no change for three weeks.

A tip was given to me to eat more for a week, as if trying to simply maintain, that raises the metabolism. Then decrease calories again the week after and it should stimulate a further weight loss.

• Hi Elliebeth

Thank you for your advice it is very much appreciated.

I am going to see what Sunday brings and if I am still stuck I will follow what you have advised.

Watch this space

Thanks โ˜บ

• Oh what a lovely photo ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š You look gorgeous!! Very well done on maintaining, it really gives me hope ๐Ÿ˜Š So glad you enjoyed your holiday, and the food ๐Ÿ˜Š You have really mastered the art of moderation and enjoying life without over indulging ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽˆโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Wow you are truelly amazing so inspirational so glad you had a fantastic time you deserved it and to only put on 2lbs just shows how you can maintain even on holiday week done x

• What a lovely picture you look amazing. I love a cruise and as you've only put on 2lb you should be very proud of yourself. The saying on cruises is 'Arrive as passengers, leave as cargo' and you have proved that's not always the case. Well done ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Well done you! Great to know you can more or less maintain and still go a "little overboard" (sorry about the pun) on a cruise holiday! 2 lbs is nothing in the greater scheme of things - onwards! :)

• Welcome back Elliebath,

You look fantastic!!! Happy Birthday!!!! Lovely that you enjoyed your Birthday Cruise, and you've maintained within your range - that is brilliant!

Wishing you a great week ahead.

Lowcal :-)

• I knew your pic was going to be worth the wait Ellie and I haven't been disappointed! You look absolutely gorgeous! Relaxed, happy, healthy, super slim and young! :)

What a star you are! You make it look easy, but I know full well it isn't. Maintenance is a lifelong commitment, but sooooooo worth it! I shall be sticking very closely to you, when I eventually reach the exulted heights of maintainer! :)

Well done Ellie, you're an inspiration to us all and many, belated birthday greetings to you :)

• Oh my, that makes me blush ๐Ÿ˜„

• Welcome back elliebath ๐Ÿ›ณ

I love your picture, you look so happy and trim .. you are positively glowing ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I'm glad your birthday cruise went well and you only gained 2lb even though you enjoyed every moment ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿท๐Ÿธ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿ so jealous ๐Ÿ˜€

Well done xx

• Aw, thanks Claire ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Hi elliebath

What a wonderful holiday, I love cruises, and belated ๐ŸŽ‰Happy birthday๐ŸŽ‰

So you had a lovely holiday and came back to a bonus of only gaining 2lbs, that's really impressive ๐Ÿ‘ I had family visit for a week and gained over 3lbs, lost it again thank goodness. ๐Ÿ˜„

Just a thought, as an experienced maintainer, would you like to add some hints or suggestions on maintaining to help us all when we get there? Admin have created pages (under 'Topics' on the right hand side of the page) and one there is called 'Maintaining'. I've 5.6lbs to go to my goal and will appreciate all the advice I can get to keep me there ๐Ÿ˜

Welcome home ๐Ÿ˜„

Mouse ๐Ÿญ

• I would do but I cannot find anywhere that says Topics .....Im using the app, is that why?

• A very encouraging post, thank you elliebath . I've only maintained for a few months, also still keep a rough idea of calories. Going on hols myself soon and have good intentions, time will tell!

• Im sure you'll be fine just give yourself a bit of leeway

• Have always found holidays n maintenance difficult thankyou for your helpful post !

You may also like...