Ready Meals

Had a couple of weeks off dieting as I was on holiday but back on the weight loss plan I followed before. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if eating the quorn ready meals or healthy living ready meals are bad whilst dieting, as I find them convenient to take to work on occasions as I work odd hours and sometimes do not have the time to cook the day before.

Thanks

Natalie

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I saw that quorn was mentioned by the nhs plan along with lean meats, etc. so quorn should be fine. I guess ready meals have both plus & negatives really, I would say that it was good because it controls your portion size and you know exactly how much fat, calories, sugar, etc, is in them. But the only thing I would say negative is that its not quite like making stuff homemade, as homemade stuff you know exactly what is going into it. If it fits your lifestyle though, I don't see why it would be bad for you.

• Yea I agree with you thanks for your response really helps :)

• Perhaps it would be a good idea to check that you are getting the ones with the lowest sugar content.

• I do check the labels and check fat content and calories but I'll make sure to check the sugar content as well

• Hi natalie1990,

The problem might just that they are 'ready meals' and are therefore likely to be - to some extent - substantially processed, and very probably made down to a price, rather than priced up to a quality.

But, whilst I don't particurlarly advocate eating lots of highly processed foods, the occasional venture in that direction, probably isn't that big a deal.

And, you are sensible to carefully check out the labels for a better idea of what they actually contain, particularly in terms of sugar, fat, salt, etc.

• I would also recommend reading the ingredients as well as the nutritional info. I work shifts a lot and I understand how difficult it is. Ready meals are not the best option but if it means you eat a meal and not end up with fast food then this would be the best choice. Is there anyway of cooking extra when you do cook and freezing them as a homemade ready meal?

• I do that. I live alone - which has its advantages. Cook up 6 portions, eat 1 on the day and freeze 5. Do it at a weekend and you're never pushed for time, and I keep a variety in the freezer. All done in one pan on the hob. You lose a bit of flavour but no added fat - and you can get uncooked quorn in several forms - mince type - chicken pieces style etc.

How about a certain manufacturer's "Beanfeast" comes in portions for 2. Soya base. Once cooked, pop in a container with rice or pasta as appropriate, not bad for something quick at the point of eating - once cooked and cooled will microwave fine - but use a lid!

• You could make your own ready meals when you have time and freeze them. Guaranteed to be healthier than shop bought versions....

• True, I do that - no additives, no frying to brown meat etc.

Read the label. In the UK packaging must tell you what's inside. Quorn is noted for being low fat/high protein, ut as advised above please do look at those ingredients, and i'll bet the quorn product has the calories written somewhere obvious.

• Thanks for all your responses it has really helped! I have got a tiny freezer in my flat which is a major pain but I can start making a couple of meals and freezing them! Do have any recipes that are good?

You may also like...