I got diagnosed with ET on Monday....was shocked, sad, depressed, now it's Friday and I'm angry. Channelling this anger into getting tasks done. Signing up here etc.
I would like to learn more about my condition and how to best manage it. I'm 43 with twin boys 5, so I want to manage my condition as best as possible. I understand I now have an increased risk of heart attack and/or stroke so I'd like to look at ways to reduce this risk. I thought I saw somewhere you can get support from a nutritionist?
As ET is classed as a blood cancer, should i register myself as a cancer patient? does this have implications with employers, insurance, air travel etc?
Specifically, I have the following questions:
1. how to best manage the condition
2. is there anyone else with ET I can talk to?
3. Nutritionist. due to the blood clotting risk, i'm at heightened risk of stroke and heart attack. can i see a nutritionist to get my weight down within my bmi and on a healthy diet in line with my condition moving forward.
4. As well as the blow of finding out I have ET i'm in a rut currently. out of work and/or trying to go self employed. One of my new concerns is how potential employers might view my illness. Can I get any counselling in this respect.
5. holidaying overseas and travel insurance. What heightened risk am i looking at from clotting and deep vein thrombosis if i fly? Can i get travel insurance if i go overseas?
6. life insurance. I currently have a policy in place. How is this effected, if at all, by my new condition? Do i need to inform the insurer?
7. registering as having cancer. what are the implications of doing so. will this effect my getting back into work? really need some career focused counselling.