Tingling and numbness post VM

I was diagnosed VM caused by HSV January 2016. Recovery in general has been slow but good and I'm beginning to have more days of feeling well and normal again... A new normal :)

I have noticed that since I have become more 'mobile' again, that I have been experiencing tingling, pins and needles and a certain amount if numbness down my left side, particularly my lower leg and foot. Sometimes I get tingling in my lower arm and hand on the left side too. It usually follows after I've been walking any distance. The right side of the body seems completely unaffected. I've been to the GP and he didn't seem to know what it could be. He checked all reflexes which seemed to react normally. I'm really quite worried, and just wondered if anyone out there has had the same? Please help?

12 Replies

• Hi Clara_Bell, glad to here that you are making progress with your recovery. I would not stress too much over the tingling/numbness. I'm post VM 2.5 years & still experience tingling/numbness. When I over exert myself by bike riding or other forms of exercise, it is more prevelant. Try not to push yourself to hard , Be sure to stay hydrated, super important, as well as proper rest. Also, I would call the healthunlocked helpline & speak with the professionals! It's only been a few months for you & it truly takes a while to start feeling yourself again!!

Hope this helps, all the best!!

• Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's reassuring to hear that I'm not alone, and these symptoms aren't unheard of. The doctor was none the wiser!

Best wishes and hope you are feeling well.

• Not the same but recovery is slow and different for everyone. Take it slow and keep expectations low.

• Hi when I had VM I got that on my left side of my mouth at first I thought I was having a stroke It did go as I recovered

• Hi Clara_Bell44, I have exactly the same thing with a numb and weaker left side and pins and needles. My neurologist says it is a functional weakness caused by the severity of the migraine I have been left with since having VM. I am to start having physio to help the functional weakness. You can google functional weakness and find explanations about it. Massaging my foot helps the numbness. Hope this helps.

• Hi there!! Thank you for replying. That really does seem to make sense! I've looked up functional weakness and it does have some useful information. I'll mention this to the neurologist next time I see him. Many thanks

• If you are having severe Migraine, I had the Daith ear piercing which has had an amazing effect, virtually no headache since and off all medication. It might be worth you looking into.

• Sorry for the late reply! I've heard of this piercing. Wow! I suffer from severe headaches, but did pre VM too. Certainly be worth me looking into, thank you for the advice.

• hello clara

i had vm in 2013. i to have pins and needles down my left side. i was qite bad when i got out of hospital with a lot of problems walking over a year and halve it has gotten a little better but still has weekness or pins and needles. it sure is taking a long time.

• Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with pins and needles. Interested to know if you had any explanation from the professionals about this? 

• hello clara:  and how are you feeling?  i have to go for a brain mri this week as they have seen something on the brain and this was first noticed when i got meningitis.  the last 2 days have been terrible for my legs. they are like jello on  the top then if they give in i fall. from knee down it is pins and needles.  how are you feeling this.  i don't call it pain. Let me know how this affects you. Barbara

• I do wish you well with your MRI scan, and that you can find a way forward with these pins and needles. My symptoms are made worse by activity, walking, swimming etc. The pins and needles are more prominent when I flex my neck. I'm awaiting an MRI appointment now. 

You may also like...