Log in
22,634 members18,019 posts


For the past 5 months I have been getting bad bruising all over my body and it actually feels like I've walked into something so that I feel like I have painful lumps under my skin. Hospital first said I was anaemic and need a fusion of iron then they changed their mind a waited. I had more blood tests and was told I wasn't anaemic but lacking in iron. I haven't been referred to anyone else and its getting worse, so much so that I look like I've been in a fight. I'm currently look at my medication to see if anything could be causing it. I am on Clopidgrel, but I've been on that for a couple of years. Any ideas as I'm really getting worried about it all. I'm 72 and on numerous meds. I have diabetes, a heart problem that has got worse and I am waiting for a stent.

3 Replies

Hi there Jlc :)

I am really sorry to hear what you've been going through. Have you told the doctors about the bruising?

Any bruises that appear without you actually impacting something (like a fall) should be a worry! A friend of mine had a serious condition where bruises appeared because the blood vessels under her skin kept bursting, they should be taking a close look at you.

I hope they sort it out and you are able to be yourself again soon!

1 like

Thanks for replying. I have an appointment with my doc in April, that's the earliest I can get. I was attending the Older Person's care Ctre at Guys, but after initially saying I was lacking in Iron and aneamic and giving me Iron tablets which I couldn't take, they were going to give me an infusion then changed their mind.

I have changed my breakfast from mainly porridge to cereals because they are fortified with vitamins, to see if it would make a difference and I'm taking one Iron tablet with vit c each day, but I'm still bruising. I have been looking up the reasons and I came across another reason why I might be getting this. It could have something to do the COPD I have, which was discovered in 2006, and although I'm not on oxygen, or anything like that, I can and carry on as normal. My latest spirometry test results showed I had asthma with a wrapround of COPD. I've been put on a Steriod Inhaler which has changed my life, but I still want this investigated, because the doc told me for years that I was slightly anaemic but the blood tests never showed up anything. I think you are right though and when I see my doc I shall asked to be referred to the Haematology people.

Thank you for your help.



1 like

Hi jlc72,

Could you go back to your GP and ask for a referral to a specialist? Perhaps a haematologist would be the best consultant to see?


You may also like...