Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with SLE and have the typical 'Butterfly' rash when I have a flare up. It's taken about 3 years to be diagnosed and I am now waiting to see a dermatologist. I hope there will be something he can give me for my next flare up, as it's very painful and the last time I had it, the inside of my arms swelled up and became very itchy and bright red.(especially after a glass of wine) Does anyone else have these symptoms? x

4 Replies

• Hi JulieJane65,

Good luck with your dermatology appointment. Let us know how you get on.

If you would like more information about skin involvement in lupus, we have a booklet you can read or download on our website at lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u...

We also have a free information pack that you can request or download at lupusuk.org.uk/request-info...

• Let me just say that your post is the reason why I joined this website. I'm always so leery to join sites because I never follow through with them.

I did want to offer so advice to you with your rash. I have it too and my never goes away. It does get better at points but it also gets worse. It hurts right now. It kind of feels like burning. What I do to cover mind up is wear makeup. Mayballen (spelling) has wonderful makeup call FitMe. I use that and cover up to cover my rash. My doctor is very impressed with how well I cover it. It barely shows through. This and being unable to walk because of the joint pain are the most embarrassing aspects for me.

• Ah, thanks for the tip with the make up. I will see what they offer me when I go for my appointment,(it's not until the end of June) but will probably get some make up too. when I get a bad flare up my face can swell so much, my eyes are nearly shut. I am very fortunate that I don't have the rash all the time. I'm so sorry you have the joint pain too. Take care xx

• I would definitely suggest makeup when you are not swollen. If you didn't cover it up well enough or if you want a little extra coverage, use a brown colored blush for your cheeks. That's what I do just so I know my red won't show though.

Good luck at your appointment.

You may also like...