20,854 members16,554 posts


Hello my name is cheryl ive all the symptoms of lupus my doctor is not very helpful please can u tell me of anywhere in plymouth I can have somone confirm & diinose ive lupus the pain 8n my joints .red rash on my face n9se cheaks & many m9re symptoms I have I went 2 my doctor last night I told her I feel suasidal please do u know who I can speak 2 in plymouth  sooner rather than later about a diagnosed ki d regards cheryl 

5 Replies

Hi Cheryred,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulty getting a diagnosis for your symptoms and feel that your doctor is not very helpful. 

Has your doctor performed any blood tests for lupus? If not, this is often the first step followed by a referral to a rheumatologist for further investigation. Dr Lindsey Robertson and Dr Nick Viner are both lupus specialists who are at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. You would need a referral from your GP to see them though.

If you are unhappy with your GP, you are able to change to a different one. You can read more about this here -

You may also wish to consider lodging a complaint. NHS Complaints Advocacy can help you with this -

If you would like more information about lupus and how it is diagnosed, you can download or request our free pack from our website at

I would urge you to seek help about your low mood. Do you have a friend or family member that you can confide in? Did you mention your suicidal feelings to your GP?

Our Devon & Cornwall Lupus Support Group have trained volunteer telephone contacts if you would like to chat to somebody with lupus on the phone. You can find more information about this at devonandcornwalllupusgroup....

You are also welcome to call our office on 01708 731251.

If you need somebody to talk to any day, at any time, you can always call Samaritans on 116 123 for free.


Thankyou for getting back 2 me yes I have had a blood test nuclar?  & I saw a rheumatologist @ derriford Dr Moor all he done was look @ my hand & elbows & rushed me out ive have conplained 2 my Dr she said they said they can't help me I am in alot of pain very low mood now this rash witch isa king me feel like I don't want 2 go out I am almost tempted 2 go 3 A&E todsy has a last mesure  kind regards *******************


Thankyou for yr reply yes I have had a nuclear blood test about a yr ago came back clear I also so a rheumatologist 4 my painful joint he just look @ my hand & elbows & rushed me out his name is Dr Moor I told my doctor I was not in pressed @ all she has requested I see someone eles they have sent a letter back saying no my pain very lowood & now this very viable rash on my cheaks is stopping me from going out I sm @my wits end I don't know what 2 do do u know of any where I can phone local 2 me & get them 2 try & diagnose me I ve even thought of going 2 A&E today has a last resort kind regards *****************


As you mention that you have a skin rash, you could ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist to have it examined and possibly perform a biopsy? You could also ask your GP to refer you to a different consultant for a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the service you received before. 

To get a diagnosis you will almost certainly need to be seen by a consultant. Even if you wanted to try and do this privately, you would usually need the referral to come from your GP. If you are really unhappy with your GP, then I would recommend you start by changing to a different one. Take a look at the link I provided in my comment above if you would like more information about doing this.

1 like

Hello, l live in Plymouth and luckily have a fabulous rheumatologist who listened to me and was finally diagnosed in January with Lupus x happy to chat if that will help? 

1 like

You may also like...