How long does being signed off due to ill health stay on your record?

Hey guys

I’m hoping someone knows this.

I have been killing myself getting into work and to be honestly my health is defiantly suffering!

I have been having a flare for nearly two years and I have no idea what to do.

My I have discussed taking time off of work with my GP and my Rheumatologist many times but I have always declined as I was worried about how this will affect not only my current job but also future job prospects.

I am now at the point that I am close to not caring as my work is being significantly affected by my condition.

Any advice would help

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't know if there is a rule about how long. I recently applied for a new job and had to declare time off work in the past 2 years.

What I would say though is if you need to take time off work, then sometimes you just have to do it. When I was flaring a lot I needed spells off work. I think my job at the time was a contributing factor to my health problems. In the end I just left the job.

I now work part time (24 hours per week) and in 3 years I've had 2 days off sick. I'm much, much better and the work/life balance I've achieved has worked for me. It was a big step but it was the right thing to do.

When I moved to that job and declared time off work I was interviewed by occ health but when I explained everything they were happy I could work part time and I got the job with no accommodations (under the equality act) needed either.

Hope this helps x

• Hello. I understand your concerns about time off work. None of us like doing it. We don't like letting people down. But sometimes you just have to listen to the doctors and your body. I have only been in my current job just over 2 years. Last April I had to take 6 weeks off due to having a hip operation. Then I was dealing with a flare, not long after my diagnosis and my Dad passed away after a short battle with cancer. My GP could see how ill, low and tearful I was, still struggling with the Lupus and then losing my Dad and insisted I have 3 weeks off work. Not long after that I had shingles and had to have another week off. So off 3 times. But each time I had a doctors note and each was genuine. I understand that when looking at individuals sick record, (in redundancy situations for example) this would only be counted as 3 occasions and the number of days themselves would not be counted. However, if you self certificate, the odd one or two days here and there, these do count as separate occasions. So actually better to be signed off by GP and have the time off they suggest than try to battle on and take sick days here and there to get through. Does that make sense? I have actually reduced my hours now again. I work 2.5 days a week and this is enough with 3 children and doing a college course etc. On the days I am not working I try to have a nap so that I have more energy in the evening when I pick up my children from school. It also means that I can book my GP and numerous hospital appointments for days that I am not working, so I don't miss work for that reason either. I know that this is not an option for everyone and I am lucky that my husband works. Maybe you could request the leaflet on working with lupus from Lupus UK. It gives info on your rights at work etc and may help you. There is one that you can give to your employers too. I hope that you find the right answer for you and that you come out of this flare really soon. Best wishes.

• Hi Whotsername

Sorry to read your battling your health so much and worrying about work. My advice is to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will advise on where you stand with your employer on Sick Pay and run a benefits check to see if your getting or could get help and if you change your hours they'd do this to see if benefits could make up your shortfall. They will also help you fill in the claim forms as they have to be done in a certain way to maximise success. Best of luck, tough decisions your having to make but you must put your health first.X

• Hi Whotsername

Sorry to read your battling your health so much and worrying about work. My advice is to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will advise on where you stand with your employer on Sick Pay and run a benefits check to see if your getting or could get help and if you change your hours they'd do this to see if benefits could make up your shortfall. They will also help you fill in the claim forms as they have to be done in a certain way to maximise success. Best of luck, tough decisions your having to make but you must put your health first.X

• I am currently off sick this past 6 wks due to a flare. Ive been referred to occ health. I sourced a brillant piece of information here on lupus uk its 'A Guide for Employers when an Employee has Lupus' its fantastic and outlines our rights under the Disability Act & Equality Act. It states that sick leave directly related to lupus should be recorded as 'disability leave' and not calculated as sick leave. These absences cannot be used in a disciplinary against you either under these acts! Ive printed a copy to give to my occ health as im registered under disabilty person in work.

• Hi how you doing I no what you mean I've been there didn't take the advice from doctor or ruemi and carried on basically till I had to stop can't work anymore the lupus has went Neuro

Wish I had listened now put you health first all the best g

• Ask for a copy of your sickness absence policy. Most employers these days do not disclose sickness days/reasons for fear of giving innacurate info etc and most references tend to focus on job title, full or part time, dates of employment. You should find out froom ur HR dept what they put in references. Usually each company has a standard reference they give. I wouldnt worry abt disclosing too much to new employer, occ health is usually good if u put lupus they will prob just talk to u sbout it if u get the job. As i understand it, wot u disclose on their form doeznt go to the hiring mgr but you should always read the form as every company is different.

Listen to ur body and take the time off if ypu can x

You may also like...