Should I phone rheumatology about my body rash?

I had my first rheumatology appointment at the beginning of January. At the time I had lots of blood tests and chest X-ray and was told I have fibromyalgia and undifferentiated connective tissue disease. She said she would see me again in April to discuss the results and to make a more definite diagnosis. Over the past few weeks my joints have been aching a lot more and I have developed a red spotty rash all over my body. My skin is also prickly and itchy. I can't decide whether I should phone rheumatology or wait for my appointment in a few months. Any ideas what the rash might be and what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by

7 Replies

oldest • newest
  • Kat, I'm sorry but I haven't the experience to advise you. I can only tell you that my Dr advised me that I should take photographs for the rheumatologist of any skin changes and keep a diary of dates etc. I hope this bit of advice helps. X flossy

  • Hi kat, could be vasculitus. This would be secondary to your problems and is quite common amongst us lupies !!! Of course reactions to meds or other things should be ruled out too. As flossy1 said, take photos to show your Drs, as you can bet they've gone when appt comes. I get this rash when exposed to the sun, it is vasculitus, for me. You should also consider the lighting in your home/work place. Certain bulbs can cause this too. Although you are now being looked after by Drs, it's all evidence that you show which will build a treatment and diagnosis for you. Good luck.

  • Hi Katt

    You could try and bring your Rheumatology Appt forward by going on a cancellation list. Good advice from the others about taking photos of your rash. Good luck. X

  • Hi Katt. I have a kind of RA that has switched to an undifferentiated connective tissue condition just now I think. The rash should probably be seen ASAP by your GP and then they can tell you how urgently you need to be seen. I don't think you should just leave it personally as Vasculitis is a serious condition too and may need treating straight away. It would probably aid a more specific diagnosis too so I agree about the photos. I had a similar sounding rash that came on after being in sunlight - but turned out to have been induced by the DMARD, Sulfasalazine. It was incredibly itchy.

  • Hi Katt

    Autoimmune conditions can cause a variety of rashes, which can be difficult to distinguish from allergies & other everyday causes. As this is coupled with joint pain, it would be a good idea to get some advice as the others have said.

    I always find the rheumatology nurse advice line really helpful. They are more knowledgeable about these conditions than GP's, & can speak directly to your rheumy if they need to.

    If you haven't already got a number for them, your hospital switch board should be able to help.

    Best wishes. X

  • I tend to go to gp with any new symptoms and they contact Rheumy on my behalf if needed.

    The Rheumy nurses is also a good suggestion.

    All the best x

  • Thanks everyone. The rash is getting worse it is raised red lumps ranging from 2-10mm diameter all over my body and I feel so achy and fatigued so I have booked a GP appointment for this afternoon.

You may also like...