LSN
3,431 members1,750 posts

Lower Limbs

I have suffered from lymphedema for a very long time, I spent 18months going backwards and forward to various places to try and find the cause of this problem. eventually I was sent to a hospital in London went through lots of tests an eventually saw the top professor in the country who looked at the notes and promptly told me I had to loose weight and there was nothing wrong with me. Yes I am overweight for my size but only by about 2 stone I am not obese. I was very disappointed with the outcome as I thought by seeing him I would at least have a positive answer, I was given support knee highs which I find extremely uncomfortable and told to go away. I would now like to try and persue this avenue again and perhaps find a more positive outcome.

3 Replies
oldestnewest

What sort of scans did Professor Mortimer assess? Seems an unusual response from him.

2 likes

It is known excess weight puts pressure on lymphatics, it may be worth trying to loose the weight and see what happens?

If you saw professor Mortimer, he's a very kind man. But if he has said you don't have Lymphoedema I would say it's highly likely you don't have it.

There is no cure for Lymphedema so you just have to find a way that you can manage the disease yourself. It is a hard long struggle but weight control and leg elevation helps to keep the swelling down. If you are struggling with your weight see your GP

2 likes

You may also like...