Living with Anxiety
3,729 members2,600 posts

Early morning anxiety

I am new here and wonder if anyone has ideas for dealing with early morning anxiety. I have always been a worrier but in the last four years it has turned into anxiety which starts up every morning when I wake and can be quite debilitating. It sometimes clears off quite quickly but can also persist all day. I also have IBS which is stress related so it is a sort of vicious circle. I have sought advice and tried hynotherapy which helped for a bit. I then saw a psychiatrist who was very supportive - he prescribed Pregabalin which did not help and caused me difficulties coming off it. He also suggested CBT and I had six sessions with a very good practitioner but, whilst she could pinpoint the causes, she could not really suggest what to do about the daily early morning anxiety. I too know what causes it. Amongst other things I have concerns about my husband's health - he knows and we can discuss it quite openly so I am lucky in that. I don't wake up thinking of those things and quite often there is no obvious reason for my anxiety.

I also get very anxious if, for example, my husband is delayed on his way home and I am inclined to think the worst and my imagination runs riot!

This is not a good time of year for me and this year I am feeling quite dispirited because, despite the efforts I felt I had made to help myself, I have to admit that CBT was a disappointment.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello :-)

I know we have spoken before and pleased to see you posting on here and I really hope when members log on they will give you a warm welcome :-)

I cannot really add much to what replied in the Welcome post except I know I have tried things before and they didn't seem to work but I tried several times and withe each time the outcome was better so it maybe worth looking at CBT again :-)

Take Care x

1 like

I've heard alot og good things about cbt maybe trying again would be worth it. Like me too i am a worrier it sucks that we always think the worse but try to keep positive. I hope everything works out for u.

1 like

Ooh i also find that I get anxiety early only if im to work if im off then im fine still trying to find some control for that.

1 like

Morning Brandywell,

I have some severe symptoms myself in the morning. What I do is not watch the news in the morning, I watch something funny like Married with Children and I kiss my wife good morning, eat breakfast, fart 💨 before I get in my car. Play some good music. Think how I’m going to beat the computer or person in Madden, exercise, fix dinner and watch movies, and a little news and spend the rest of my time with my Beautiful wife.

1 like

Hi there ~ good to hear from you again .Well as I told you before I also suffer with early morning anxiety. When you wake with that awful feeling of dread just say to yourself " look I know what this is ~I am safe in my home so just go away anxiety and leave me alone " I have little worry dolls I hold onto as well in times of distress. Even having a few sips of water might help as well ~something to distract you. Wishing you well today 😊

2 likes

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I had a bad day yesterday but today is better. I am reluctant to try CBT again. I have tried with two practitioners - the first was not very helpful but the second was helpful and I enjoyed seeing her - she has good credentials and is very experienced. However she did not really come up with a strategy for dealing with the anxiety. In reading about CBT I found the comment that it was hard work and might involve homework came up frequently. This was not my experience although I would have been happy if it had been. The point was also made tbat CBT is not for everyone.

You may also like...