Panic Disorder

I am a 36 mummy I have been hospilitized since August 2013 I suffer panic attacks 10 times a day and constant anxiety all day I am so beside myself no one in the hospital understands panic attacks I am on propananol 120 mg and paroxetine 40mg but the doctor says medication will not calm my worries. I just feel so desperately alone and no one understands here I am with many self harmers and even they don't get it I just want to get back to my daughter I am desperate.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello gemma welcome to the site :-)

You really are gong through it & I am sorry you have been suffering so long & been in the hospital so long also , you must be so much stronger than you think dealing with your anxiety even though I know you won't feel it

I think people that self harm maybe suffering with something slightly different & that is the reason they don't quite understand how you are feeling but keep talking on here & the other anxiety communities because you will find members do know exactly how anxiety feels & will relate to you

As well as the medication are they giving you any kind of talking therapy etc I do hope so

Stay strong you will slowly start to recover & try maybe in one day any little positives you achieve , if it be you have one panic attack less or you feel you deal with a panic attack better than the last one write it down because all the little tiny positives soon start building up but sometimes because our brains are going at a 100 miles an hour we can miss this

Panic attacks are really awful when we have them but one thing we have to try & focus on is that they won't harm us & if we can try & face them , let them come & then pass again that slowly takes away the fear we feel & the panic attacks do start to get less

I hope you have family around you & friends supporting you & keep focused on that goal of getting back to your little girl & you will get there , be kind to yourself in the meantime x

• I really know how you feel I started getting panic attacks 3 years ago after going through a lot of stuff that just happens in life ,I still am affected to this day ,a book I discovered I feel saved me and would never be without it ,its called ,,,at last a life by a chap called paul david ,please read it ,and all the best you will learn to live with this xx

• Nice to meet you Gemma. I suffer the same. On zoloft 50 mg and xanax 2mg. You are not alone. Try getting an app called calm. It's very helpful. Also I have a book called At Last A Life by Paul David. It's extremely helpful. I'm here for you anytime. Peace. Brian

• Hi Gemma, welcome to the site. Panic attacks are awful and the after effects are just as bad. Here are a few things that have helped me:

- exercise (long walks or running)

- talking to someone about my worries (I did individual and group therapy that was helpful)

- meditation (try headspace.com)

- yoga (this doubled both as exercise and meditation)

I hope you are able to find peace soon. I can't say one thing alone helped but I recomend trying new things and remember don't just do it once, it takes time so be patient with yourself and the new activity.

• Hi Gemma

Don't lose hope this can be resolved. Six months ago I couldn't leave the house or drive a car without having some anxiety or panic attack. The medication will just add to your problems. There are two things I found really helpful and STOPPED my panic attacks. The first was ilovepanicattacks.com and the second was a book and program called thriveprogramme.org. Believe me when I say that YOU can change this situation, You have control of your thoughts and can choose to think of anything. I used to think that motorways gave me panic attacks until I realised that a motorway can't make me do anything.

Look into these things - they worked for me ( I don't sell them and have no connection with the authors)

Good Luck

You may also like...