Endoscopy biopsy?

My platelets are pretty steady at 50k. I'm due to have an endoscopy and biopsy of my small intestine. The doctor said ITP's not a problem, but the woman who asked him had never heard of it, so I don't know how well she explained, or whether she mentioned my count. Literature says 1 in 1000 have complications when bleeding doesn't stop by itself. My husband's in hospital for heart surgery and I have a toddler - I cannot be that 1!

Has anyone had one with a similar count? Or have any other insight?

Thank you,

Lunar

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dear Lunar

My problem was not as serious but I had to go to hospital to have a tooth pulled out and the hospital would only go ahead with a platelet count over 35, so you may be fine but better to ask for a second opinion if you are unsure. Hope all goes well for you and your husband.

• Thank you Morgan. My husband has died now, so I am even more risk-averse, but your information helps.

• So so sorry for your loss. I hope life gets better for you soon.

• Hi Lunar. There is a general rule of thumb of 50 being required for surgury unless it is major heart then 100+ is prefared. I am sure the consultant will have heard of ITP and be aware of the count requirements. I have just had minor operation and they were happy at 50. Good luck.

• Thank you sailor. That's reassuring.

You may also like...