Hi all. I just wanted to share our story, as I am really struggling lately.
My boyfriend, who is 30yrs old, fit and with no underlying issues has been in the hospital for the past nearly two months fighting the damage done from covid19. He spent first 5 days on a cpap mask then had to be put on a ventilator, and within 24hrs he was put on ecmo as the doctors said he only had hours to live. He stayed on ecmo for 33 days, his improvement started only the last week he was on ecmo, and also had to be put on filtration for his kidneys nearly 3 weeks ago now. He seems to always have a secondary infection, sometimes they don’t know exactly where. He has been off ecmo for 2 weeks now, he was put on nitric oxide prior to the weaning off ecmo which they have been unable to wean off completely, currently he’s on 10mm. He has been on and off on neradrenaline for his heart as sometimes his heart bit falls. As of today he only requires a tiny tiny tiny bit of that as precaution. The wound on his neck of where the ecmo cannula was has been infected and unable to heal properly, he has a bug called stenotrophomonas, and quite hard to treat that infection, currently on the second cycle of Vencomycin. The past few days his liver is not functioning very well according to the blood results but they said that’s not priority at the moment and they want to see if he will improve. He had a failed tracheostomy last week which got blocked by a blood clot and had to be removed, as a result he was again intubated from the mouth. The plan was to have a surgical tracheostomy today, and even though he’s done great during the weekend, they noticed that he is a bit chesty today and has more sputum, contrary to the last few days where he didn’t really have any. They are scared he has a chest infection and want to delay it a bit. They have done all the blood gases and an X-ray so currently waiting for that. He is on a medium to light sedation obviously enough so he can tolerate the ventilator. He is between 30-35% on the vent.
It’s been 48 days since he was ventilated and exactly 2 months since he spiked the fever. I have tried to remain positive, and I knew it since the beginning in my heart that he will make it. I have lost track of the times the doctors told me he won’t make it, the times they said we should withdraw support, and I kept fighting for him. And I won’t stop.
But my heart is so broken, and every complication as the time goes by it’s a massive shock, and I can’t seem to be able to cope. I don’t know if he has any more strength to fight, and we’ve gotten so far now.. is there light at the end of the tunnel?