ICUsteps
3,128 members908 posts

How long did it take you or loved one to relearn to walk? Curious to hear others stories

My hubby was induced coma 2 wks, bedridden 3- 4 months, anoxia so he has ataxia and tremors. Im trying to find hope that his walking can improve. How much is still physical weakness vs brain injury vs ataxia... Who knows. I know everyone is different but im losing my mind and can only imagine what hubby is feeling. He was very active, mechanic.

Thanks

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Being able to learn how to walk again depends on so many factors. I was in an induced coma 5 weeks...bed ridden 2 months. I was told I may never walk again. When I started physical therapy I was on a 3 week schedule with therapy 4 times per day. I was able to walk unassisted after 1 1/2 weeks...but considered handicapped for 6 months.

2 likes

Thats great. Real quick for you.

Thanks for your reply

I was bed bound for about five weeks, so nowhere near as long as your hubby. Intensive physio started in week six and in about two to three weeks I was walking unaided. When I was first sat on the edge of the bed, in week five, the way I felt I thought it would be months before I could walk again. Once the physio got going I was surprised how quickly I progressed. But there are so many factors and obviously it's different for everyone. So here's hoping for good progress for your hubby.

1 like

Thank you fo sharing!

1 like

I had nearly total ICU acquired weakness - 12 weeks before I could stand up, another 5wks until I could walk upstairs. Another 2 months I was doing physical work. Within a year full time. The hospital said I wouldn’t work for 3yrs, if at all.

Make sure he sticks to physiotherapy regime

1 like

I do but they want to say hes plateaued and stop therapy. So i do stuff with him. He dies not want to be in a wheelchair and i dont believe he has to be.

1 like

You may also like...