5,641 members8,013 posts

TBI Abroad - will hospitalisation be necessary on return to the UK

Hi everyone

I hope someone may have the answer to my question.

My boyfriend was involved in a serious car accident in Cairo on the 11th January.

He sustained a basilar skull fracture and was in a coma for 3 days. He can walk and talk but he had cerebral fluid leaking.

His family are trying to bring him back to the UK on the 2nd February if the Dr will let him fly.

My question is, would it be common practice for him to be taken to hospital straight away once he arrives at Heathrow, is there a specific hospital that he would go to with this type of injury or is it possible he would go to a general hospital near his parents home?

Thank you.

11 Replies

yes he should go straight to hospital but that will need to be arranged, I would suggest you follow this up with the GP/hospital do not take it for granted that medical info will follow it doesnt when your in hospital and being discharged


Where are his parents located...?




Best to ask his GP for medical advice like this.


i was flown back from spain a month after my operation as long as a hospital in the uk wiiling to admit him i believe they do all the uk landside arrangements which hospital i am not sure but if london my vote would be for kings


Hi, I can't help you specifically with your question but there is the Brain Injury Group and forum at braininjurygroup.org.uk that I belong to. Quite a few of the members are from the south of England. I am quite near to maidenhead myself.


Hi girlfriend,

Thank you for your post, and very sorry to hear of the situation with your boyfriend.

After a severe injury like this, he would likely be best treated at a hospital with specialist neurological services. Depending on his condition when he arrives in the UK, this could be in a neuro-ward, or perhaps if he is more medically stable but is experiencing ongoing effects from his brain injury, a rehabilitation unit.

As suggested above, this would be a good time to speak to the GP he is registered with if that is possible? It is important to try as much as possible to get his care in place before he arrives in the country, to prevent him being transferred to general, non-specialist services.

It might also be worth investigating a compensation claim at this stage, as this could help get the best possible care. We have a few solicitors on our list that may be able to help.

If you'd like to discuss this in more detail, and receive any information from us on hospital treatment, early recovery and rehabilitation, please contact our helpline on 0808 800 2244 or helpline@headway.org.uk.

Best wishes,



Thank you all for your replies.

I have just spoken to my boyfriend's brother who has just returned from Cairo and he has told me that due to the cerebral edema he has that flying him home is not an option and that he may be in Cairo for a long while yet.

My boyfriend was working in Cairo so I believe his medical care there is covered and I have been told by a friend who lives there that he is being looked after by the best Neurosurgeon in Egypt so really I am glad he is staying for the meantime although it means I can't be with him but I have to think what is best for him and his recovery. This is all very hard.


Hello girlfriend, the answer from Headway definitely reflects my experiences with my friend. She had an accident on holiday in Europe. There was a lot of confusion about what documents were needed and who the transfer was being arranged by. My friend did have travel insurance and I think (with the benefit of hindsight) it was a mistake to rely on what the travel insurance company were saying. Things really only got moving once the British Consulate got involved - if there is a British Government representative in Cairo I would suggest contacting them for general advice and guidance at this stage (perhaps you have already). My friend was transferred by ambulance to London where she lived and placed in a general ward initially. To my mind my friend was pretty much ignored with everyone in the ward hoping someone in another ward was doing something about my friend. My top tip would be to find out very quickly who is the named nurse, the ward manager and the responsible consultant and insist on meeting them as part of the ward round to discover what the treatment plan is. One last thing, your partner will have different relationships with different people and you may find that noone will speak to you about your partner because you are not deemed next of kin. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the next of kin? Ask them to have you added to the relevant hospital records so that you are able to give and obtain the information you need. Good luck, this is hard, use the support from Headway as much as you can, I've found them to be very helpful.


I had an accident in France, in 2005. I was in a coma for several weeks. Churchill insurance paid for a Lear Jet (thank you!), and I went into intensive care, back home. My poor old husband, though: a job to go to, two children, a wife in a coma... I figure life was easy for me!

So yes, he should go to a hospital, but you need to arrange it with them, first. He may be well enough to be on a normal passenger plane, but he may not. Check, and check with his travel insurance company.



I had my accident in France. I was still in a coma when they flew me home, and I went straight into intensive care, here. I think the insurance company organised it - they know what to do, and organised the Lear Jet, etc.

Do they have insurance? If so, the company should sort it all. If not, they will have to organise things themselves, but just talk to his GP, and tell them what the situation is. I see someone else has said to get the hospital over there to speak to the hospital here, which is what I was going to say.


You may also like...