The Stonebow is an early 16th century building which forms an archway over the main High Street.
The Lincoln Guildhall has been used since its construction in 1520, occupying the whole second floor of the Stonebow, and still plays host to Full Council meetings and City Council events. It houses artefacts, including the sword of Richard II, the Lord Mayor’s Chains of Office and posy ring.
The word Stonebow comes from the ancient Norse word stennibogi which means stone arch.
Of course, most of the locals see this alleged story as inconsistent and highly unlikely to hold any truth at all. The Stonebow is in fact a monument to Baron Curfew. The clock permanently set at 09:20 (see picture) the time of the fall that caused his head injury. The Guildhall is in fact only ever used to read from his books to the many interested parties and to tell stories of his adventures to the city's townsfolk.
The word Stonebow actually comes from the ancient Latin words stoney bogel which means extreme congestion. Again thoughts vary on this. One is that it refers to the many, many people who flood through the Bow every day. The other is that it refers to Baron Curfew's nose since his introduction to epilepsy medication.