Fibromyalgia Action UK
39,124 members51,313 posts

Advice needed, equality act

Hi I am new here. I have had a diagnosis of autoimmune Neutropenia (something killing off my white neutrophils that fight bacterial and fungal infections). I have been injecting gcsf to bring these up to a normal level but this is a continuous process.

Due to other symptoms I now have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and undifferentiated connective tissue disease, dry eye syndrome with possibility of lupus. All bloods however show no problems other than low white cells which is normal with Neutropenia.

My question is relating to sickness which to be fair has been excessive this year due to back spasms which can last up to two weeks. I am getting pulled in next week for a risk assessment by work.....I have been upfront totally over the years, my work hasn't suffered, I'm all up together on that. BUT, am I covered by the Equality Act if they start to get heavy with me? I need to know what to ask for or at least have some idea where I stand legally on this, any ideas?

Thanks 😀

5 Replies

Hi Wallygrom and welcome to our friendly fibro forum where you can get advice, support, help and informatio.

Have you seen our Mother Site ? Here you will find everything about fibro including guides and links to Janet, our Benefits Lady.

If you look to the right hand side of the page, you will see Related Posts and read other members' experiences of this problem.

Also to the right you will see Pinned Posts where you will find instructions on how to navigate the forum, also to see how to lock your post, which I strongly advise. You will also get more replies this way as members are often reluctant to answer an unlocked post as replies are unlocked too. This keeps your personal information secure.

Are you in a union? Have you looked at your Contract of Employment to see if there is anything in there to help you?

Do you have a Human Resorces Department? They will know the law regarding ill health and what can be done to help you.

You can find out a lot more of the rules and regulations, options and obligations of employer and employee at the government website GOV.UK.

Do not be tempted to hand your notice in, even if you feel under pressure. There is a procedure to dismiss an employee because of continued ill health and it has to be followed to the letter.

I hope it all goes well with your work and that they are sympathetic to your needs.


1 like

Hi there

We are first and foremost a Fibromyalgia Support Group.

Unfortunately none of us are medically or legally trained and so are unable to help you with this question.

I think your best bet would be to contact the CAB. You can arrange through them to see a lawyer for half an hour free of charge.

I am very sorry if this reply comes across as harsh. It is certainly not intended that way.

We just swap experiences and care and support each other through our journey with Fibromyalgia.

Wishing you all the very best in finding your answer.

Take care

Lu x


1 like


Try this site you can also phone them


I agree with admin. DONT whatever you do offer to leave. It will be seen as you making yourself unemployed and that is a whole different ball game.

Good luck.



Hi Wallygrom

I really am so genuinely sorry to read this my friend and I agree completely with your other respondents. I would give ACAS a call as Rose54 suggested. I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck, and please take care of yourself.

All my hopes and dreams for you


1 like

You may also like...